Need Help in Profile Evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Need Help in Profile Evaluation

by Nachiket » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:32 am
Hey Experts,

Please evaluate my profile and suggest list of B-schools which you think are suitable for my profile :-

Below are the Highlights of my Profile:

Pool: Indian/Male/IT , Currently working as a Project Lead with Cognizant Technology Solutions in India

GMAT: 670, Q49, V 32, IR 5, AWA: 5

GPA: 7/10, Bachelors in Engineering from a reputed college in India.

Work Experience: Total 6.5 years of work ex in the IT industry. Have worked with IT giants such as Accenture, Amdocs and Cognizant.

Below are key highlights of my Work-Ex:

"¢ Have received timely promotions and top ratings at Cognizant and Accenture.
"¢ Possess expertise in Data Analytics, Data Migration and Reporting.
"¢ Gained exposure to various business domains such as Telecom, Travel & Life Sciences.
"¢ Received client appreciations at numerous instances.
"¢ Managing a team of more than 10 people and contributing heavily on the Project Delivery, Resource Management & Risk Management front.
"¢ Possess international client site experience of ensuring smooth delivery of the project for a period of 6 months.
"¢ Have received many rewards and recognition awards at each of the 3 organizations worked

Extra-Curricular activities:

"¢ Was part of a community (@Accenture) which works at providing assistance to the new joiners in the organization.
"¢ Contributing heavily in social work activities for underprivileged children as part of 'OutReach program' @ cognizant.
"¢ Organized events at the cultural fest in college and received recognition for the same.

Business skills :- I can lay emphasis on the business knowledge gained in various domains such as Telecom, Travel and Life Sciences during my 6.5 yrs of tenure in IT industry

Leadership & teamwork experience : I can showcase the leadership traits exhibited as a Project Lead cognizant ( my current organization) for 1.5 yrs which includes in areas such as :-

i) Project Management & Delivery
ii) Resource Management
iii) Risk Management
iv) Leading a team of more than 10 people for last 1.5 yrs

International exp : I have a limited 6 months of international experience at client location. Can bring out some positives out of that.

Career Goals: I want to pursue a career specifically in IT Business Consulting.

Pls. advise which all B-schools should I be targeting and have a good chance of admission considering my GMAT score and overall work experience profile ?

Regards,
Nachiket Gupta
Stay Hungry , Stay Foolish !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:19 pm
Hi Nachiket,

Thank you for your post!

First, your GMAT score of 670 is at the low end of the range for top programs like Harvard, Wharton or Stanford, which all have incoming scores closer to 720 or 730, with percentiles of 80 or higher in the verbal and quant sections. A sub-700 GMAT score is very difficult to overcome as far as these most competitive of schools. You may want to consider McDonough, McCombs, and Tepper, all of which have average incoming scores around 690.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as an Indian national with a degree from an Indian institution, you come from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. Many of your fellow country men and women with similar academic histories (if not professional experiences) are also targeting top programs, and that makes it even more difficult to truly stand out or differentiate yourself. This would make your GMAT score and GPA even more important factors in your candidacy.

Given your significant management experience, it is possible that you can get past these obstacles to your candidacy. When you are ready to begin your applications, contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/.
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Nachiket » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:33 am
Eliot wrote:Hi Nachiket,

Thank you for your post!

First, your GMAT score of 670 is at the low end of the range for top programs like Harvard, Wharton or Stanford, which all have incoming scores closer to 720 or 730, with percentiles of 80 or higher in the verbal and quant sections. A sub-700 GMAT score is very difficult to overcome as far as these most competitive of schools. You may want to consider McDonough, McCombs, and Tepper, all of which have average incoming scores around 690.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as an Indian national with a degree from an Indian institution, you come from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. Many of your fellow country men and women with similar academic histories (if not professional experiences) are also targeting top programs, and that makes it even more difficult to truly stand out or differentiate yourself. This would make your GMAT score and GPA even more important factors in your candidacy.

Given your significant management experience, it is possible that you can get past these obstacles to your candidacy. When you are ready to begin your applications, contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/.
Thanks Eliot for your inputs !!

So can we say that schools such as Foster,University of Illinois-Urbana,UT-Dallas,Smeal-Penn state are good to apply with this score and my overall work experience profile ?
Stay Hungry , Stay Foolish !!