Profile Evaluation Part Time MBA - GMAT 640

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Part Time MBA - GMAT 640

by palasjn » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:59 am
Hi

I scored a 640 yesterday on my first attempt (Q44, V34), IR 6. I have a Bachelors in Engineering (Electronics & Communication) from India (Passed with Distinction, 73%) and MS in (Electrical & Computer Eng.) from Auburn University, USA (GPA: 3.63).

Work Experience:
I have 9 yrs of experience in one of the Top 10 Fortune 500 companies as an Engineer, Lead Engineer, Program Manager and Technology Leader in Medical Device industry. I managed cross functional teams on New Product Introduction projects and have experience working with Global cross functional teams.

Extra Curricular:
I have been actively involved in Affinity networks/volunteering during the past 4 years. I also lead a Affinity network chapter for our site and am on the leadership committee for one of the Affinity networks.

I would like to focus on Strategy/Marketing streams and am planning to apply to Kellogg/Booth. Appreciate your expert advise on my chances of getting into Kellogg/Booth Weekend MBA programs in 2015.

References:
My Current Manager, CTO for the company.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:40 pm
Palas,
A few reflections on your profile:
  1. The transition your are seeking is not uncommon. In fact some people manage that even without an MBA. It will be critical though that you have the right sponsorship within the organization. An EMBA alone may not add enough weight to the profile to make the transition happen - unless already agreed with the employer
  2. The achievements part of your work is not clear. That said, the GMAT will be a deterrent for the schools you have in mind given the competition levels there. A retake, if feasible, is strongly recommended.
Hope this helps,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:04 am
Hey there - before we get into your profile as a whole, tell me this. What are the chances you can retake that GMAT and bring that score up 30 or 40 points? Your story, background, etc. all comes into play after we have that piece of the puzzle locked down!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by palasjn » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:25 pm
Hi Manish/Bhavik

Thank you for your response and sorry for the late reply. I am actually planning to apply for the Part Time MBA at Kellogg and Booth and not EMBA. Regarding the GMAT, i don't have enough time to retake as the application deadlines are in Early/Late Jan 2015.

In terms of accomplishments, I have developed and released medical devices (MRI scanners) which improved patient outcomes and increased productivity for our customers. I have experience working with global cross functional teams (India, China, Japan, Europe etc) and spent short amount of time in India sharing best practices and guiding the team for a New Product Launch. I can show career progression from Engineer/Lead Engineer/Program Manager and a Technology leader (my current role).

I was in Engineering for a P&L (MRI) for 7 yrs and wanted to get a broader perspective/exposure to the overall Healthcare business so i take up the role of Technology leader in Supply Chain. In my current role, i lead productivity projects for different P&Ls, involved in evaluating supplier technology capability and supplier strategy. I would like to get into Product Management/Product Marketing and would appreciate any your input on areas i should focus on for my application.

Thank You
Jithendra

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:58 am
Jithendra,

Thanks for the follow on note. Your experience looks pretty good because of the diverse experience you've sought. Should make for some pretty compelling essays.

The GMAT assessment I made stays true however. Going to be tough. But if you dont have the time/energy for another take, take a shot at it. The only recommendation I would have is to not exhaust your options this year. Meaning, worst case, if things dont click this year, leave a few options for next year with a better score. Reapplication is a tricky business.

All the best!

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

by palasjn » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:51 pm
Hi All

Happy to share that I got admitted to Booth!! Waiting for
decision from Kellogg.

Thank you for all your help.

Regards
Jithendra

by palasjn » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:09 pm
Hi

Got admitted in to Kellogg Part time MBA as well!! Need to make a decision between Booth and Kellogg by coming Monday (02/09). Appreciate any inputs/suggestions.

Thank You
Jithendra

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:22 pm
FANTASTIC! Congratulations!! Great decision to have to make! If you're focused on mostly marketing, Kellogg has a distinct advantage there in a traditional sense but if it's a quantitative approach, then Booth wins. From a strategy perspective, both are great. Overall, I'd say go with the stronger brand which, in both Chicago and in a greater context, UChicago is hard to beat. But they're both wonderful schools and you can't make a bad decision. Congrats again!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by palasjn » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:38 pm
Thank You!! Really torn between the two. Visited both schools and attended classes and like both of them. As you said, probably better to go with the stronger brand/reputation.

Have to make a decision by end of this week.