Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Comparisons: when to add a word?

by confused13 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:47 am
Example 1:
The US spends more money on health care than Canada <-- wrong
The US spends more money on health care than Canada does <-- right

Example 2:
The critic XY described the performance as more important to popular music concert history than was any other performance<-- wrong
The critic XY described the performance as more important to popular music concert history than any other performance <-- right

Could someone explain me, when I have to add words and when not?

In example 1 we compared the actual act of spending, so we compared a clause, whereas in example 2, we compare nouns? Is that the difference?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 am
The first example is a echoing a verb.

The verb being echoed is "spends." So you should read the second sentence in the first example as "The US spends more money on health care than Canada spends." The word "does" echoes the word "spends" and sounds better than actually repeating "spends."

On your second example, you are comparing nouns. So you simply state each noun with nothing implied. "This performance is more important than any other performance."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by confused13 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:30 pm
But what is the rule when do I have to add a word and when not??

I don't think that in example 1 there is any ambiguity, if we had omitted the word "does"?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by iongmat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 pm
Actually both the sentences that you have marked "wrong" in your first post and absolutely correct.

The "rule" is that only when there is an ambiguity, that is when you need to add the verb.

For example (an official example):

Incorrect:
Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.

The reason this is incorrect is because it could mean two things:
x) the Bering Sea Inuits were isolated from Europeans longer than they were isolated from Aleuts and other Inuits or
y) the Bering Sea Inuits were isolated from Europeans longer than Aleuts and other Inuits were isolated from Europeans.

Correct:
Inuits of the Bering Sea were isolated from contact with Europeans longer than were Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska. [/u]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:08 am
confused13 wrote: Could someone explain me, when I have to add words and when not?
Rule 1: Clarity
The comparison must be crystal clear.
If more then one interpretation is reasonable, then the comparison must be clarified.
Generally, adding just a word or two will make the comparison crystal clear.

Rule 2: Parallelism
Generally, we compare PARALLEL FORMS.
One CLAUSE is compared to another CLAUSE.
One VERB is compared to another VERB.
And so on.
Example 1:
The US spends more money on health care than Canada <-- wrong
Interpretation 1: The US spends more money on health care than [the US spends money on] Canada.
Interpretation 2: The US spends more money on health care than Canada [spends money on health care].
While the second interpretation seems to be the intended meaning, both interpretations are reasonable.
The US spends more money on health care than Canada does <-- right
One purpose of do/does/did is to stand in for an ANTECEDENT VERB.
Here, does is standing in for spends.
The addition of does makes the intended comparison crystal clear:
The US spends more money on health care than Canada spends [money on health care].
Example 2:
The critic XY described the performance as more important to popular music concert history than was any other performance<-- wrong
Here, was (verb) lacks a preceding parallel form.
Since was must be compared to a preceding verb, the sentence above is not viable.
The following would be correct:
According to the critic, John's performance WAS more important to popular music concert history than WAS any other performance.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:57 am
Interpretation 1: The US spends more money on health care than [the US spends money on] Canada.
Interpretation 2: The US spends more money on health care than Canada [spends money on health care].
While the second interpretation seems to be the intended meaning, both interpretations are reasonable.
This is a great explanation Mitch!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by confused13 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:06 pm
Ok, first things first: Thanks Mitch for your response!

So the comparison must be clear, and if you want to add an word/verb it has to be "parallel" to the previous verb. That Rule works for me :)

But:
Why/How on earth, should one country spend ON another country??
Do I just assume to much of common knowledge or what?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:13 am
confused13 wrote: Why/How on earth, should one country spend ON another country??
This phrasing is unlikely to appear on the GMAT.
In a less formal setting, to spend money on country X would mean to devote financial resources to country X.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3