twenty four hours

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

twenty four hours

by j_shreyans » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:22 am
The division of the day into twenty-four hours, rather than into some other number of periods, are essentially random, and most people can scarcely imagine dividing the day in any other way.

A)hours, rather than into some other number of periods, are essentially random, and most people can scarcely imagine dividing the day

B)hours is essentially random, unlike some other number of periods, and yet most people can scarcely imagine the day being divided

C)hours, unlike some other number of periods, is essentially random, despite the fact that people can scarcely imagine the day being divided

D)hours, rather than into some other number of periods, is essentially random, yet most people can scarcely imagine dividing the day

E)hours are essentially random, unlike other numbers of periods; people can scarcely imagine the day being divided

OAD

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 pm
Hi j_shreyans,

This SC offers a couple of "splits", but doesn't present the splits in an easy-to-spot way. The multiple commas point to Modification as one of the primary rules in this prompt, but there are also verb and comparison issues to consider:

1) Verbs: "The division" is a singular subject, so the verb "is" matches (the verb "are" does not). Eliminate A and E.

2) Faulty Comparison: the phrase "unlike some other number of periods" must be compared to ANOTHER number of periods, NOT to the act of dividing a day into a number of periods. The phrase "rather than INTO some other number of periods" properly compares/parallels with "the division of the day INTO twenty-four hours.." Eliminate B and C.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:29 am
j_shreyans wrote:The division of the day into twenty-four hours, rather than into some other number of periods, are essentially random, and most people can scarcely imagine dividing the day in any other way.

A)hours, rather than into some other number of periods, are essentially random, and most people can scarcely imagine dividing the day

B)hours is essentially random, unlike some other number of periods, and yet most people can scarcely imagine the day being divided

C)hours, unlike some other number of periods, is essentially random, despite the fact that people can scarcely imagine the day being divided

D)hours, rather than into some other number of periods, is essentially random, yet most people can scarcely imagine dividing the day

E)hours are essentially random, unlike other numbers of periods; people can scarcely imagine the day being divided
A and E: The division...are essentially random.
Here, are (plural) does not agree with the division (singular).
Eliminate A and E.

Generally, COMMA + unlike and COMMA + like serve to refer to the preceding SUBJECT.
B: The division of the day into twenty-four hours is essentially random, unlike some other number of periods...
C: The division of the day into twenty-four hours, unlike some other number of periods...
Here, unlike some other number of periods seems to refer to the division (the preceding subject), implying that THE DIVISION is UNLIKE SOME OTHER NUMBER OF PERIODS -- an illogical comparison.
Eliminate B and C.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3