OG13 Q48 : It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

A. It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers

B. Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers

C. Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering

D. Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers

E. Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering

Hi Verbal Experts,
Can you please let me know why B is wrong ?

IMO,B seems to be correct as 'which' correctly refers to 'largest lake'(because 'on Earth' modifies 'largest lake' - it provides information about where the lake is from!).

Look forward to your clarifications.

Much Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:53 pm
Hi RBBmba@2014,

Answer B has a number of errors:

1) The opening phrase "Although it is called a sea," should immediately be followed by the noun that the opening phrase describes. Here, it's followed by the word "actually." This is incorrect modification.

2) The pronouns "it" and "which" are unnecessary. Redundant language is rarely in the correct answer.

3) The Caspian has been, is and will likely be (tomorrow) the largest lake on Earth, so the proper verb is "covering", not "covers."

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:26 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi RBBmba@2014,

Answer B has a number of errors:

1) The opening phrase "Although it is called a sea," should immediately be followed by the noun that the opening phrase describes. Here, it's followed by the word "actually." This is incorrect modification.

2) The pronouns "it" and "which" are unnecessary. Redundant language is rarely in the correct answer.

3) The Caspian has been, is and will likely be (tomorrow) the largest lake on Earth, so the proper verb is "covering", not "covers."

Rich
Hi Rich,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I can understand your point 1, but please let me know is this a major error ? Do we get any other official question with this sort of usage?

Re error 2: You mean it makes the sentence less concise than option C. Right?

Re error 3: I'm sorry but I don't understand this explanation at all :-( This sentence states a FACT. And as we know facts are in SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE. Isn't it ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:04 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

B. Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers

==> "which" after the comma refers to Earth & incorrectly states that Earth covers more than 4 times the surface area of its closet rival in size..

==> We need noun after "Although it is called a sea"
R A H U L

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:05 am
Hi RBBmba@2104,

Here's some additional information on the 3 points that I mentioned:

1) "Modification" is one of the standard rules that the GMAT tests. It is tested with modifying "words" and modifying "phrases." You'll see at least one of each on Test Day. A common was to test a modifying phrase is an opening phrase at the beginning of the sentence that includes a comma; whatever that phrase describes should follow the comma.

2) Yes, "concise" language matters, as long as you're still following standard grammar rules.

3) You refer to the sentence stating a "fact", which is fine, but that fact is not limited to one point in time. The Caspian is the largest lake today, was the largest lake yesterday and will probably be the largest lake tomorrow. It's more appropriate to say that this is a "timeless fact", so the correct verb is an "-ing" verb (here, it's "covering...").

Rich

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mseeker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:13 pm
Is C the correct answer?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:21 pm
+1 for {C}

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:50 pm
Hi mseeker,

The correct answer is C

Rich

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:03 pm
B: Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

When an introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent, the referent for the pronoun must be the FIRST WORD of the main clause.
To my knowledge, NO OFFICIAL ANSWER has not abided by this rule.
Here, the introductory modifier (although IT is called a sea) includes a pronoun without an antecedent (it), but the first word of the main clause (actually) is not the referent for this pronoun.
Eliminate B.

COMMA + WHICH + SINGULAR VERB must refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING SINGULAR NOUN.
Here, which seems to refer to Earth, implying that the EARTH covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vietmoi999 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:28 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:B: Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

When an introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent, the referent for the pronoun must be the FIRST WORD of the main clause.
Here, the introductory modifier (although IT is called a sea) includes a pronoun without an antecedent (it), but the first word of the main clause (actually) is not the referent for this pronoun.
Eliminate B.

COMMA + WHICH + SINGULAR VERB must refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING SINGULAR NOUN.
Here, which seems to refer to Earth, implying that the EARTH covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival.

there are many questions in og, in which "which..." can modify a far noun. This point means "which..." can modify a noun not touching "which" provided that the noun between "which..." and the noun modified must modify the noun modified.

this is the reason why "which..." in A and B is correct.
A and B is incorrect because the indended meaning is a causal relation between two idea, "is the largest" and "covering a large area". this idea is in choice C

the meaning in choice A and B infact is meaningless. the idea in "which..." is not binded to the main clause.

I have to say that the explanation in og is wrong for this problem.

why I know that, look at the question " hispanic pupulation, amounting to less than half of population" in manhantan forum. you can google this sentence.
If anyone in this gmat forum is in England, pls email to me([email protected]) . I have some problems and need your advise. Thank a lot

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:10 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:B: Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

Eliminate B.

Eliminate B.
Hi Mitch - thanks for your explanation.

I completely understand your first point.A good enough reason to eliminate option A.

BUt as for your second point - is it ALWAYS true in GMAT ?
I think in some cases depending on the meaning and context of the sentence 'which' can modify a slightly far away noun when the entity immediately precedes 'which' in turn modifies/refers to the that noun.
For example this OG qs: Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.

Thoughts ?

Moreover, in the sentence (re the landlocked Caspian) preposition phrase 'on Earth' clearly modifies "the largest lake".
Don't you think that as "the largest lake on Earth" is a BIG noun phrase so 'which' will accordingly have the liberty to jump over the preceding preposition phrase 'on Earth' (the modifier) to modify the HEAD of this noun phrase - "the largest lake" ?

Looking forward to your views!

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:33 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi RBBmba@2104,

Here's some additional information on the 3 points that I mentioned:

1) "Modification" is one of the standard rules that the GMAT tests. It is tested with modifying "words" and modifying "phrases." You'll see at least one of each on Test Day. A common was to test a modifying phrase is an opening phrase at the beginning of the sentence that includes a comma; whatever that phrase describes should follow the comma.

2) Yes, "concise" language matters, as long as you're still following standard grammar rules.

3) You refer to the sentence stating a "fact", which is fine, but that fact is not limited to one point in time. The Caspian is the largest lake today, was the largest lake yesterday and will probably be the largest lake tomorrow. It's more appropriate to say that this is a "timeless fact", so the correct verb is an "-ing" verb (here, it's "covering...").

Rich
Hi Rich,
Re your third point - what I understand you refer to this sentence as 'Universal Truth' when you say "timeless fact".

Like in the case "The Earth revolves round the Sun.". Right ?

But for this sort of sentences also I think, we use simple present tense instead of present continuous. Don't we ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:53 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:BUt as for your second point - is it ALWAYS true in GMAT ?
I think in some cases depending on the meaning and context of the sentence 'which' can modify a slightly far away noun when the entity immediately precedes 'which' in turn modifies/refers to the that noun.
For example this OG qs: Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.

Thoughts ?

Moreover, in the sentence (re the landlocked Caspian) preposition phrase 'on Earth' clearly modifies "the largest lake".
Don't you think that as "the largest lake on Earth" is a BIG noun phrase so 'which' will accordingly have the liberty to jump over the preceding preposition phrase 'on Earth' (the modifier) to modify the HEAD of this noun phrase - "the largest lake" ?

On the GMAT:
COMMA + which + SINGULAR verb must refer to the nearest preceding SINGULAR noun.
COMMA + which + PLURAL verb must refer to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun.
To my knowledge, no OA has not abided by these rules.

Emily Dickinson's LETTERS to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which WERE written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.
Here, which were written (COMMA + which + PLURAL verb) correctly refers to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun (letters).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:13 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: On the GMAT:
COMMA + which + SINGULAR verb must refer to the nearest preceding SINGULAR noun.

Emily Dickinson's LETTERS to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which WERE written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.
Here, which were written (COMMA + which + PLURAL verb) correctly refers to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun (letters).
That's a great clarification Sir! I wasn't aware of such quick solution honestly. Thank you.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by goldenpath » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:00 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:BUt as for your second point - is it ALWAYS true in GMAT ?

Thoughts ?

On the GMAT:

Mitch, you are a truly GMAT Guru. Thank You!