lots of phrases modify a noun, confusion!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

lots of phrases modify a noun, confusion!

by frankhongyi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:05 pm
In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

(A) resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(E) Alexandria's largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

Please provide explanation for the right anwer. I am looking for some clarifications.
I could quickly rule out (A)(B)(C)(E)because they are awkward or making dangling modifier mistake.
But I couldn't quickly find what's wrong with the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria
I think it has no ambiguity.
OG's explanation on this phrase is confusing.
could anyone help me with it?
Thanks!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:48 am
frankhongyi wrote: But I couldn't quickly find what's wrong with the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria
I think it has no ambiguity.
OG's explanation on this phrase is confusing.
could anyone help me with it?
Thanks!!!
the station at New York
the airport at New Dehli
the school at Rome

The phrases above all exhibit the same structure: the RED PLACE at the BLUE PLACE.
Generally, this structure serves to convey the following meaning:
that the RED PLACE is located at the BLUE PLACE.

Answer choices A and B: the ancient world at Alexandia
Here, the implication is that the ENTIRE ANCIENT WORLD was located AT ALEXANDRIA.
Not the intended meaning.

The intended meaning is that the LIBRARY was located at Alexandria, as conveyed by the OA:
the destruction of THE LIBRARY at ALEXANDRIA.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by abhasjha » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 am
Dear Mitch Hunt ,

Can you please throw some light on how to rule out option C and E .

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:15 pm
abhasjha wrote:Dear Mitch Hunt ,

Can you please throw some light on how to rule out option C and E .
In C, because of the result of is redundant.
It is sufficient to say because of X or as a result of X.
Eliminate C.

E: the result was later generations
LATER GENERATIONS did not result from the destruction of the library.
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Wed May 04, 2016 8:18 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
In C, because of the result of is redundant.
It is sufficient to say because of X or as a result of X.
Eliminate C.

E: the result was later generations
LATER GENERATIONS did not result from the destruction of the library.
Eliminate E.
Dear Guru,

Can you please explain what the modifier "resulting from..." in choice (A) exactly modifies.

Does it modify the clause 'later generation lost'? In this case I think it correct (as modification standpoint)

or does it modify the adverbial clause, I think it nonsensical.

Which one of the above is correct?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 06, 2016 9:25 pm
Mo2men wrote:Dear Guru,

Can you please explain what the modifier "resulting from..." in choice (A) exactly modifies.

Does it modify the clause 'later generation lost'? In this case I think it correct (as modification standpoint)

Thanks
A: resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad
Here, resulting seems to refer to later generations, implying that LATER GENERATIONS were RESULTING from the destruction.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:Dear Guru,

Thanks
A: resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad
Here, resulting seems to refer to later generations, implying that LATER GENERATIONS were RESULTING from the destruction.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.
Dear GMATGuru,

How can we apply the same understanding in the following OG2106 SC#46:

Over the next few years, increasing demands on the Chattahoochee River, which flows into the Apalachicola River, could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, robbing the oysters there of their flavor and making them smaller, less distinctive, and less in demand.

Does make sense to say: " increasing demand were robbing the oyster their flavor"? can the demand do this action? The modifier must always make sense with the agent.

Your support is highly appreciated.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:06 am
Mo2men wrote:How can we apply the same understanding in the following OG2106 SC#46:

Over the next few years, increasing demands on the Chattahoochee River, which flows into the Apalachicola River, could alter the saline content of Apalachicola Bay, robbing the oysters there of their flavor and making them smaller, less distinctive, and less in demand.

Does make sense to say: " increasing demand were robbing the oyster their flavor"? can the demand do this action? The modifier must always make sense with the agent.

Your support is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Increasing demands could alter the saline content, robbing the oysters...of their flavor.

Here, the VERBing action (robbing) happens as a result of the main action (could alter).
Question:
WHY does the ROBBING action happen?
Answer:
Because of the main action performed by the INCREASING DEMANDS (they could alter the saline content).

Since the ROBBING action happens as a result of the main action -- and the main action is performed by the increasing demands -- the ROBBING action can logically be attributed to the INCREASING DEMANDS.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:10 am
I wish to find more error in E.
"and the result is " dose not show causal relationship. what result? I think "and the result of this destruction " is better
am i right?
"alexandra's" is incorrect. this mean "alexandra" owned the library, which can be somewhere ,not in Alexandra.

it is hard to eliminate choice e.