Marriage

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Marriage

by j_shreyans » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:44 am
Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one's health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

A)The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.

B)Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple ceremony.

C)Married people cannot get depressed.

D)Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.

E)Some marriages are more harmonious than others.

OAD

Guys ,

Can you pls explain me with negation metthod..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 am
j_shreyans wrote:Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one's health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

A)The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.

B)Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple ceremony.

C)Married people cannot get depressed.

D)Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.

E)Some marriages are more harmonious than others.
Conclusion: MARRIAGE causes GOOD HEALTH.

The assumption is WHAT MUST BE TRUE for this conclusion to be valid.
Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.
D, negated:
Single people with health problems are LESS LIKELY TO GET MARRIED than are other single people.
Implication:
ONLY HEALTHY PEOPLE are likely get married.
The negation of D invalidates the conclusion: if most married people were healthy BEFORE they got married, the argument cannot conclude that marriage causes good health.
Since the negation of D invalidates the conclusion, D is the correct ASSUMPTION: what must be true for the conclusion to be valid.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by BTGmoderatorAT » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:34 am
I agree with Letter "D"

Your health and overall attitude have a lot to do with whether your marriage is pleasant or not.