Reading and comprehension

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Reading and comprehension

by souma730 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:58 pm
Hello guys,

I'm taking the gmat in the 1st december and i've just started prep last week. I'm using the gmat prep software avaible on the gmat official website. Here is the probleme , i'm having big trouble with the reading and comprehension section , i take too much time to read and understand in order to be able to answer. Is there any smart way to get the main ideas quickly without reading the whole thing? if not, does this section count lot in calculating the score?

Thank you for your help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:21 pm
Hi souma730,

With a Test Date on December 1st, you have less than 6 weeks to continue studying. Since you claim to have just started, this time frame is severely limited. Reading Comprehension represents about a third of the questions in the Verbal section (4 passages with about 14 total questions), so it IS a big part of your Verbal Score (and by extension, your Overall Score out of 800). Just like any other major category of questions on the GMAT, it CAN be prepared for, but it sounds like you're going to face a big overall challenge trying to get ready for everything on the GMAT in such a short period of time.

I'd like to know a bit more about what you're done so far:
1) What is your score goal?
2) Have you taken any FULL-LENGTH practice CATs or the Official GMAT already? If so, then what were your scores (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? If not, then you should plan to take one soon, so that we can get a sense of your current abilities, strengths and weaknesses.
3) Is there any way for you to push your Test Date back? The extra time for your studies would be helpful.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by souma730 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:55 am
Thank you for your answer. My score goal is 730, and I ve never taken the official GMAT or any full lenght practice cats, but i got enrolled in a gmat prep courses which i ve started attending last week.
As far as concerns the test date, i dont know if i can push it back, im trying to apply in the 2nd round and its deadline is January the 5th, i ve choosen december the 1st in order to get my test results slightly before the deadline (it takes 20 working days). I dont know if business schools accept unofficial score reports... what do you advise me to do?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:30 am
Hi souma730,

It's really important to get a sense of your current level of ability. If possible, you should plan to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). Even if you score at a relatively high level on that CAT, there is still LOTS of work that would need to be done for you to be properly prepared to take the Official GMAT as planned. If you think that your application really depends on a high GMAT score (730, give or take), then if you don't earn that score, the deadline does not matter.

If you have questions about what an individual school will accept as part of the application process, or even if the school is a bit flexible in regards to how quickly you would need to submit your Official GMAT Score, then you should contact the school and ask.

Based on past experience, I think that you will probably have to adjust your plan and study for longer than you're planning to now. There are always exceptions, of course, but we don't have any evidence of that yet.

What GMAT products (Course, books, etc.) are you using?

Rich

by souma730 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:23 pm
Hi Rich ,

I've taken yesterday the Full length cat proposed by Veritas prep and i got a 600 score. I know i'm still far away from my goal , especially that these cats dont reflect one's real level , i mean even if i got 800 i would still have to work hard. Anyway , i'm going to do my best , if i got the score that i need then i'll finish my application process, if not , i'll wait untill next year..although it seems like a long time lol.
The courses i'm attending are the ones proposed by AMIDEAST and we are using the last official GMAT review guide (2014).

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:51 pm
Hi souma730,

You're defined your situation by one of 2 possibilities - either you score at a competitive level and apply as planned OR you don't score well now and wait until next year to apply. I'm curious about ALL the options though. Many schools have a 3rd Round (and some even have a 4th Round) of Admissions. For the schools that you are planning to apply to, are there any other later rounds? If there are, then you could "open up" your schedule a bit and not have to do so much in such a short period of time.

Rich

by souma730 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:48 am
Hi Rich,
You're right there are other rounds that i can apply for and i'm well aware of that. But the thing is , i have an other challenge, its to get a full tuition scolarship, and if i wait till the 3rd or 4th round it would be too late to apply for these scholarship by the time i get the admission response (if i ever do).Therefore, i won't be able to go to any school at all since i have no other funding resource.