able to move into new housing, applying

in d and e applying modifes family instead of rent-to-buy program
is my reasoning correct

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:710

by rishimaharaj » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:55 am
Hello Arghya05,
I think you are correct. It seems that "applying" is modifying "programs" on account of the pair of commas:
Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs,....., applying part of the rent to a purchase later.
Because of the incorrect modification, this construction makes no sense, which allows us to eliminate both D and E.

I think the correct answer is B
Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to move into new housing and to apply part of the rent to a purchase later.

1. Subject/Verb agreement:
programs (plural subject) goes with enable (plural verb). So C and D are incorrect.
2. Parallelism :
"to move into new housing" and "to apply part of the rent" is correct. So E is incorrect.

This leaves A and B.
A seems unnecessarily wordy with the phrase "to be able to," which is why I'd choose B as the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
--Rishi

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:17 am
+1 to B
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:30 am
rishimaharaj wrote:Hello Arghya05,
I think you are correct. It seems that "applying" is modifying "programs" on account of the pair of commas:
Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs,....., applying part of the rent to a purchase later.
Because of the incorrect modification, this construction makes no sense, which allows us to eliminate both D and E.

I think the correct answer is B
Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs that enable a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to move into new housing and to apply part of the rent to a purchase later.

1. Subject/Verb agreement:
programs (plural subject) goes with enable (plural verb). So C and D are incorrect.
2. Parallelism :
"to move into new housing" and "to apply part of the rent" is correct. So E is incorrect.

This leaves A and B.
A seems unnecessarily wordy with the phrase "to be able to," which is why I'd choose B as the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
--Rishi
Hi Rishi,

Just want to correct one thing in your explanation that any ing form except including and implementing doesn't modify the preceding noun rather modifies the whole phrase, therefore, in the above E option applying is not modifying programs.......

Followed by:1 members

by arghya05 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:45 am
no i guess you are missing a point , ing modifier are adverbial they modify the entire action,but
there is also a initiator or main subject who performs the action

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:53 am
arghya05 wrote:no i guess you are missing a point , ing modifier are adverbial they modify the entire action,but
there is also a initiator or main subject who performs the action
But I don't feel that here programs is the subject, if there is a subject then it's many house builders.....plz correct me if I am wrong

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:710

by rishimaharaj » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:38 am
Hi all,
I think aspirant2001 is correct by saying that "many house builders" is the subject. The sentence could be a complete thought if you put a period after programs:
"Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs."

Aspriant2011,
I am not yet knowledgeable about the specifics which you brought up regarding ing form and modification. Do you have any links/resources to share to read up more on that?

Thanks,
--Rishi

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 am
rishimaharaj wrote:Hi all,
I think aspirant2001 is correct by saying that "many house builders" is the subject. The sentence could be a complete thought if you put a period after programs:
"Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs."

Aspriant2011,
I am not yet knowledgeable about the specifics which you brought up regarding ing form and modification. Do you have any links/resources to share to read up more on that?

Thanks,
--Rishi
U would have to search BTG, there would be links available for this ing concept.I didn't bookmark any such link therefore unable to paste the same....

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:25 am
Hey guys,

Great discussion - a few thoughts here:

1) As arghya05 said, the -ing modifiers can modify an entire clause or action, and that's how that modifier "applying..." is working here. A few examples:

Congress took great strides toward a balanced budget, raising the debt ceiling but also repealing many upper-class tax cuts.

Here, "raising" and "repealing" modify the whole action of taking strides toward a balanced budget. You'd call this an "adverbial modifier" - the -ing word takes on the role of an adverb, not modifying the noun but rather the entire action.

Brian showed his political leanings, using a grammatical example to showcase his desires for upcoming legislation.

Again, the -ing modifier here, "using" modifies the entire action, not just the subject of the sentence.

So... in this sentence, "applying part of the rent" describes HOW the program enables these families to move into new housing. "Applying" describes the action "enable".

2) So it's not "applying" as a modifier that's wrong in D or E. Actually, I'd prefer that phrasing in D or E if it weren't for fatal flaws:

D - uses "enables" (singular) as the verb for "programs" (plural)
E - uses really redundant phrasing: "enables families...to be able to"

So I guess you do have to go with B here, but I could easily see this question rewritten such that it takes advantage of the fact that the second action - applying rent to a later downpayment - is really what makes the first - affording a new house - possible.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:12 am
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Hey guys,

Great discussion - a few thoughts here:

1) As arghya05 said, the -ing modifiers can modify an entire clause or action, and that's how that modifier "applying..." is working here. A few examples:

Congress took great strides toward a balanced budget, raising the debt ceiling but also repealing many upper-class tax cuts.

Here, "raising" and "repealing" modify the whole action of taking strides toward a balanced budget. You'd call this an "adverbial modifier" - the -ing word takes on the role of an adverb, not modifying the noun but rather the entire action.

Brian showed his political leanings, using a grammatical example to showcase his desires for upcoming legislation.

Again, the -ing modifier here, "using" modifies the entire action, not just the subject of the sentence.

So... in this sentence, "applying part of the rent" describes HOW the program enables these families to move into new housing. "Applying" describes the action "enable".

2) So it's not "applying" as a modifier that's wrong in D or E. Actually, I'd prefer that phrasing in D or E if it weren't for fatal flaws:

So I guess you do have to go with B here, but I could easily see this question rewritten such that it takes advantage of the fact that the second action - applying rent to a later downpayment - is really what makes the first - affording a new house - possible.
Hi Brian, thnks for your response.I am just curious to know about the subject in option D & option E. Please help me on that.....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sl750 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:47 am
I had my doubts with choice B because the relative pronoun that refers to the plural programs. Is that correct?

by arghya05 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:20 am
simple if enable is the main verb the the subject is rent program
in sc structure

S1(in sc structure subject),s2(which.................,)ing
ing modifes the preceding clause before comma that is s2
correct me if i am wrong

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by eastcoastrocks » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:27 am
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:

Thanks Brian. This was very enlightening. I always wondered about the OG explanation for these choices. They appear to be incorrect!!

by CaptainM » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:41 am
Brian,
Thanks for pointing out that "Applying" describes the action "enable".

Ron/Brian,

Could you please resolve my below said queries.

1)In my opinion ,in D and E, "Applying" should also refer to the subject of the previous clause that is "Programs".
In my opinion, its not the "Programs" that are "Applying" but the families, and thus to me the usage seems to be wrong.

2)Also, the OG says :for D, applying following a non restrictive clause suggest incorrectly that the Builders. and not the families, are applying the rent.
Please explain.

3)In general:
What does Comma +Ing modifier modifies in case there is a non-restrictive clause with or without comma before the modifier.

Please clarify.

Thanks!!! :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:32 am
keep in mind that you're looking at *wrong* answers here.

in the two choices (d) and (e), "applying..." shouldn't be a modifier at all, because it doesn't actually *modify* anything in the preceding clause -- it gives another, separate aspect of the programs. (number one, the families can move into new housing; number two, the families can apply part of the rent to a later purchase. these are different things.)
so there's really no sense in nitpicking over what it can or can't modify, because it shouldn't be a modifier at all.

also, bear in mind that there is some flexibility here -- if a comma + -ING modifier follows a complex expression that has more than one subject+verb pair, then you may have to use a certain amount of common sense to distinguish what is modified.
the modifier still must modify the same rules, but could refer to either of the subject/verb combinations.

e.g.
i carried a bag containing six incubators that enclosed baby chicks, supporting them with nutrients and heat.
here, the comma -ing modifier modifies only the second subject+verb pair. shown in color:
i carried a bag containing six incubators that enclosed baby chicks, supporting them with nutrients and heat.

VS.
i dropped a bag containing six incubators that enclosed baby chicks, breaking two of them and endangering the chicks' lives.
here, the comma -ing modifier modifies the entire preceding clause. shown in color:
i dropped a bag (containing six incubators that enclosed baby chicks), breaking two of them and endangering the chicks' lives.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron