Retaking the exam in 40 days. how to increase Q46 to Q50?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I appeared for GMAT 20 days back and scored a 650 (Q46 and V34). I have registered to retake it and have 40 days in hand. Can you please tell me on how to approach Quant and DS now so that I can increase my score by those 4 points? Also will 40 days be sufficient to do it considering that I work for 9 hours everyday.
Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:47 am
When it comes to mastering Data Sufficiency questions, there are several important strategies, such as rephrasing the target question, the table method, choosing "good" numbers to plug in, etc.

If you're interested, we have 16 free videos that cover everything you need to know about DS questions: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:20 am
Hi Anushri Dixit,

First off, a 650/Q46 is a strong score (right around the 80th percentile), so this score might be enough to get you into Business School (depending on the schools and the overall strength of your application).

While DS questions account for a big part of the Quant section, you haven't provided any information that proves that DS is ACTUALLY your problem area. You might need to focus on mastering tactics/patterns instead working on a specific question type. If you can answer a few questions, then we can probably figure out what you should be working on:

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What were your scores on each of your practice CATs (including the "brand" of CAT and the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
3) Which CATs did you take in their ENTIRETY and which CATs did you skip sections on?

4) Of the questions that you got wrong on each of the Quant sections, what fraction of them were DS questions? What fraction of them were because you made a silly/minor mistake?

5) Is there a reason why you're focused on the Quant section? You actually have a much greater opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Anushri Dixit » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 am
Hi Rich,
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, DS is a problem area for me and I think you are correct that I would need to focus on mastering tactics.
To answer your questions in sequence:
1) I have been studying for 2 and a half months
2) I scored around 630 on the Manhattan GMAT tests and a day before the exam, I had scored 620 on GMAT Prep.
3) I had taken both the tests on GMAT Prep entirely and had taken only Quant and Verbal sections on the MGMAT tests
4) I did most of the mistakes on DS but they were more because of lack of understanding rather than silly mistakes
5) I am aiming to increase my score on both the sections and I am still figuring out on how to approach it.

I really appreciate your help on this. Thanks once again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:35 pm
Hi Anushri Dixit,

You mentioned something in your last post that I'd like you to explain further. When you say that you get DS questions wrong because of a "lack of understanding", what do you mean? Since you've been studying for about 2.5 months, and you scored a Q46 on your Official GMAT, I have to assume that you are comfortable enough with DS questions and most of the Quant concepts that appear on the Test. Do you have a formal "process" for dealing with DS questions? Are you looking for one?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]