Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:33 am
raisethebar wrote:Is the Ans B?
only statement B is sufficient to ans.

If ans is correct then I can explain.
Yes,the answer is B.
Can you please guide me through the solution?
I tried using hit-and-trial technique putting values of x and y but I wasn't 100% confident.
Is there any formal method??

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by ajith » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:34 am
harsh.champ wrote:Is n odd ?

1. a^n - b^n is divisible by a - b
2. a^n + b^n is not divisible by a + b
1. is not sufficient - for all integer values of nl a^n - b^n is divisible by a - b
2. a^n + b^n is not divisible by a + b, sufficient; a^n + b^n is divisible by a + b for all odd values of n

B
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shehzadkhawar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:20 pm
can't understand the logic behind why the statement B IS CORRECT. Ajith! can you explain? I can't make a logic to fit in without trying real numbers. Is this some kind of rule in maths.

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:19 pm
can't understand the logic behind why the statement B IS CORRECT. Ajith! can you explain? I can't make a logic to fit in without trying real numbers. Is this some kind of rule in maths.
Rules for a^n - b^n:

--> Always divisible by (a-b)
--> Divisible by (a+b), when n is EVEN
--> NOT Divisible by (a+b), when n is ODD

Rules for a^n + b^n:

--> NEVER divisible by (a-b)
--> Divisible by (a+b), when n is ODD
--> NOT Divisible by (a+b), when n is EVEN

---

Coming to the question,

n odd?

A. a^n - b^n is divisible by a - b

when n is ODD/EVEN, (a-b) divides (a^n - b^n)
Insufficient.

B. a^n + b^n is not divisible by a + b

ONLY when n is EVEN. When n is ODD, a^n + b^n is divisible by a + b.
So, n is EVEN. Sufficient.

Hence B

Legendary Member

by harsh.champ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:23 pm
papgust wrote:
Rules for a^n - b^n:

Rules for a^n + b^n:

---

Coming to the question,

n odd?

Insufficient.

Hence B
My question is:what is more worthwhile,remembering all the rules of math or solve by hit-and-trial??
The former can lead to error if misplace any rule with the other.On the other hand,the latter may take up some time during the test.
In the long run,what would prove to be more beneficial.

Seeking advice from experts too!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:07 am
harsh.champ wrote: _____________
Thanks papgust,
That was really appreciative of you to post the Rules for a^n - b^n and Rules for a^n - b^n.
Though suppose,I forget any of the 6 rules.Then,it would be impossible to solve the question w/o plugging in numbers.
My question is:what is more worthwhile,remembering all the rules of math or solve by hit-and-trial??
The former can lead to error if misplace any rule with the other.On the other hand,the latter may take up some time during the test.

There are so many rules that might show up that it's really not worth seeking out and memorizing the ones unlikely to appear. What's far more important is learning how to answer questions for which you don't remember the rule.

I'd never advocate memorizing the rules related to this question; if you know them, great - but if not, there are far more valuable uses of your time.

The GMAT is less a test of math than of critical thinking, so that's the key skill that you need to master for success.

Picking numbers is invaluable in both problem solving and data sufficiency. Even if you're a math whiz, there will be questions on which it's faster to pick numbers than do the algebra. The key things to work on as you practice are:

1) when can I pick numbers;
2) when should I pick numbers; and
3) what numbers should I pick?

The answer to the first question is pretty much any time there are unknowns in a question.

The answer to the second question is subjective; the trite answer is "any time it's faster than doing algebra", which means you really need to know your own strengths and weaknesses to ensure that you choose the best approach for every question.

How do you do so? Every time you do a question, if you see multiple ways to do it, try it each and every way. These various methods may include algebra, picking numbers, backsolving, logic, intuition and strategic guessing. The only way you're going to become an expert at the methods you're not accustomed to using is to practice them repeatedly; the only way you can determine what's the best way to attack a certain type of question is to try out different approaches.

The answer to the third question depends on the subject matter of the question. Here, for example, we want to try out an odd value of n and an even value of n (odd/even questions are built for picking numbers, since as soon as you try out 1 of each you've usually exhausted all of the possibilities).

Here are some types of numbers you should consider:

1) odd/even
2) positive/negative
3) -1, 0, 1
4) positive fractions
5) primes/non-primes (on prime questions, always pick 2 and an odd prime)
6) integers/non-integers
7) small/big
8) perfect square/non-perfect square

Each time you attack a data sufficiency question, keep track of what the question was testing and what numbers made a difference; the better you get at choosing the right numbers, the less time it will take you to do so.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Legendary Member

by harsh.champ » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:41 am
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:

There are so many rules that might show up that it's really not worth seeking out and memorizing the ones unlikely to appear. What's far more important is learning how to answer questions for which you don't remember the rule.

I'd never advocate memorizing the rules related to this question; if you know them, great - but if not, there are far more valuable uses of your time.

The GMAT is less a test of math than of critical thinking, so that's the key skill that you need to master for success.

Picking numbers is invaluable in both problem solving and data sufficiency. Even if you're a math whiz, there will be questions on which it's faster to pick numbers than do the algebra. The key things to work on as you practice are:

The answer to the first question is pretty much any time there are unknowns in a question.

The answer to the second question is subjective; the trite answer is "any time it's faster than doing algebra", which means you really need to know your own strengths and weaknesses to ensure that you choose the best approach for every question.

How do you do so? Every time you do a question, if you see multiple ways to do it, try it each and every way. These various methods may include algebra, picking numbers, backsolving, logic, intuition and strategic guessing. The only way you're going to become an expert at the methods you're not accustomed to using is to practice them repeatedly; the only way you can determine what's the best way to attack a certain type of question is to try out different approaches.

The answer to the third question depends on the subject matter of the question. Here, for example, we want to try out an odd value of n and an even value of n (odd/even questions are built for picking numbers, since as soon as you try out 1 of each you've usually exhausted all of the possibilities).

1) odd/even
2) positive/negative
3) -1, 0, 1
4) positive fractions
6) integers/non-integers
7) small/big

Each time you attack a data sufficiency question, keep track of what the question was testing and what numbers made a difference; the better you get at choosing the right numbers, the less time it will take you to do so.
Thanks,that was really insightful of you.
The effort is really appreciative.
I am sure any community member who looks up this thread will be benefited.

On another note,I had one doubt:-While posting these 3 questions,I was doubtful whether to also post it in the GMAT strategy forum and give the link of this thread,so that it can be helpful both ways.Or should the post belong to the math forum only??

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:20 am
Thanks a lot stuart !

# picking is almost always helpful for people like me who are weak in math!

This post of urs is just another way to boost our energy! :)
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
Thanks papgust,
That was really appreciative of you to post the Rules for a^n - b^n and Rules for a^n - b^n.
Though suppose,I forget any of the 6 rules.Then,it would be impossible to solve the question w/o plugging in numbers.

1) odd/even
2) positive/negative
3) -1, 0, 1
4) positive fractions
6) integers/non-integers
7) small/big

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:06 am
papgust wrote:
Rules for a^n - b^n:

Rules for a^n + b^n:

I'm concerned that some readers might find the above 'rules' misleading. These are rules about algebraic factoring; it is not correct to use any of the "NOT" or "NEVER" 'rules' in questions about divisibility. If we take, for example, the 'rule'
papgust wrote: Rules for a^n + b^n:
and, for simplicity, we let n=2, this would say that a^2 + b^2 is not divisible by a+b. What you mean is that it is impossible to factor out (a+b) from (a^2 + b^2); that is certainly true. It is *not*, however, correct to interpret this as a rule about divisibility of numbers. If, say, a=20 and b=5, then 20^2 + 5^2 most certainly *is* divisible by 20+5. That we cannot factor (a+b) from (a^2 + b^2) *only* tells us that a^2 + b^2 is not *always* divisible by a+b; it sometimes is, and it sometimes is not. There are similar examples one can give for any of the 'NEVER' rules above:
papgust wrote: Rules for a^n + b^n:
If you let a=3 and b=2, for example, then a^n + b^n will always be divisible by a-b = 1, no matter what the value of n.
papgust wrote: Rules for a^n - b^n:
Again you can use a=20, b=5 and n=3; 20^3 - 5^3 is divisible by 25.

The 'always' rules, can, however, be correctly applied to divisibility problems. For example, if a > b and a and b are positive integers, then a^2 - b^2 is certainly always divisible by a+b and a-b.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nipunkathuria » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am
papgust wrote:
Rules for a^n - b^n:

Rules for a^n + b^n:

---

Coming to the question,

n odd?

Insufficient.

Hence B
Nice xplantn dude...thanks
Back !!!

Legendary Member

by goyalsau » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:28 pm
Thanks for the Hard Work Guys,
It is really very Helpful
Saurabh Goyal
[email protected]
-------------------------

EveryBody Wants to Win But Nobody wants to prepare for Win.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:05 am
re-opening an old thread (this was todays BTG ath question)

can someone explain the solution wth exact steps? unable to figure out :(

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:33 am
:) an easy entry; it tests a^n - b^n reformation --> every time n={n is integer, 2,3,4, ... +infinity} (a-b) is one factor present ahead of the reformation
a^2 - b^2=(a-b)(a+b), a^3 - b^3=(a-b)(a^2 +ab + b^2)

st(1) given the explanation above, this is Not Sufficient, as n can be odd OR even;
st(2) a^n + b^n is not divisible by a + b, if n=1 --> (a^1 + b^1)/(a + b) is quite divisible BUT when n=2 or 4 or 6 ... (a^2 + b^2)/(a + b). In fact a^3 + b^3=(a+b)((a^2 -ab + b^2), hence n must be even for st(2) to be true and our answer is No, n is not odd, it's even. st(2) is Sufficient - B
Is n odd ?

1. a^n - b^n is divisible by a - b
2. a^n + b^n is not divisible by a + b
rohu27 wrote:re-opening an old thread (this was todays BTG ath question)

can someone explain the solution wth exact steps? unable to figure out :(
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com