Sentence Correction

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Sentence Correction

by RiyaR » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:02 am
According to a recent study, the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children as to receive it from them.
(A) the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children as
(B) the elderly in the United States are four times as likely to give regular financial aid to their children as it is for them
(C) the elderly in the United States are four times more likely to give regular financial aid to their children than
(D) it is four times more likely for the elderly in the United States to give regular financial aid to their children than they are
(E) it is four times as likely that the elderly in the United States will give their children regular financial aid as they are

Is the answer C?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:23 pm
Hi RiyaR,

The correct answer to this question isC. I'm going to approach my explanation in a different way from normal - can you tell me WHY you chose your answer (because it's not clear how convinced your are of your choice)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by RiyaR » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 pm
So I first eliminated choices D and E as both the sentences begin with it is more likely.....
B is out because the option reads "4 times as likely"
Option A is out because the ending of the sentence uses the comparison "as" when it should use than.
Hence, option C

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:58 pm
Hi RiyaR,

Very nicely done. If there is any "note" that I would offer, it's that the "as....as" 2-part construction will likely show up on Test Day, so you should be on the lookout to use it (but only when it is used correctly).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]