prep questions

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

prep questions

by jamesk486 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm
The Petroleum Institute and the United States Energy Dept. reported sharp drop in oil prices about oil inventory, a development that some inventors interpreted as the first indications of oil cutbacks by the world producers as beginnings to act languishing the drop.

A..
B. a development that some inventors interpreted to be the first indications that oil cutbacks of the world producers as beginnings began to
C. a development that some inventors interpreted as the first indications that oil cutbacks of the world producers are beginning to
D.which some inventors interpreted as the first indications that oil cutbacks by the world producers began to
E. which some investors interpreted to be the first indications that oil cutbacks of the world producers began to

In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation if any language.
A...
B. his translation of the Iliad, a work that took him seven years and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced

C.his translation of the Iliad, a work that had taken him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced it as

D.translating Iliad, a work that, took seven years until completion and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced it as

E.translating the the Iliad, a work that had taken him seven years to complete and literay critic Samuel Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced it

is "translating" wrong?

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

Re: prep questions

by jayhawk2001 » Fri May 04, 2007 7:16 pm
jamesk486 wrote:
In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that, taking him seven years until completion and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation if any language.
A...
B. his translation of the Iliad, a work that took him seven years and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced

C.his translation of the Iliad, a work that had taken him seven years to complete and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced it as

D.translating Iliad, a work that, took seven years until completion and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced it as

E.translating the the Iliad, a work that had taken him seven years to complete and literay critic Samuel Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced it

is "translating" wrong?
The sentence needs verbs in the same tense -- "began ... took" sounds
right.

A and C don't have the correct tense.

D - awkward construction after "that,"

E - incorrect tense "had taken"

My choice is B

by thegmatbeater » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:15 pm
IMO C, as should be used after pronounced

by thegmatbeater » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:15 pm
IMO C, as should be used after pronounced

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hk_4u » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:44 am
Hi

I have a query regarding option D & E .

Alexander Pope began translating the Iliad, a work that took seven years until completion

As per OG , appositive a work incorrectly refers to Iliad . However I feel it is referring to the action of the previous clause i.e. translation of Iliad .

Please comment. I am not sure why this construction is wrong .

In the correct ans choice (B), Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad , a work that took him ....

As per OG, appositive a work correctly refers to translation

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 am
In A, we cut off "taking...". The sentence is " that and that litteric...". Not grammatical

in C, "that ...Samual pronounce it as" is wrong because "it" must be destroyed.

D and E are similar to C and are wrong

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:35 am
Received a PM asking me about the appositive issue. An appositive is a noun modifier - it specifically refers only to another noun. In this case, "the Iliad" is a noun. The word "translating" is not. This is why the appositive "a work" refers only to "the Iliad" - and that meaning is not the correct meaning.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT Score:600

by hai1 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:07 pm
For question 1, my choice would be D
D.which some inventors interpreted as the first indications that oil cutbacks by the world producers began to
Reasoning: Which or a development is a correct modifier; interpreted as would be the correct idiom and interpreted to be (hence I eleminated B&D); oil cutbacks by would be the correct idiom than oil cutbacks of (hence I eleminated E)

For question 2, my choice would be B
began and translating; do not agree atleast to my ear (hence eleminated D &E); had taken him is past perfect and the action indicates simple pastense. So eleminate C.

By the way, what are the answers

Legendary Member

by mmslf75 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:38 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me about the appositive issue. An appositive is a noun modifier - it specifically refers only to another noun. In this case, "the Iliad" is a noun. The word "translating" is not. This is why the appositive "a work" refers only to "the Iliad" - and that meaning is not the correct meaning.

Though it is said that APPOSITIVE can refr only to noun
in corect answer B

, a work... refers to "TRANSLATION of ILLIAD" !!

Why so ?

Can appositive noun modifiers take the structure "X of Y, a .."

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:46 am
Sure - the word "translation" is a noun. "Translation of the Iliad" is just a phrase describing the full concept, but it's still a noun phrase.

The form "<began> translating," however, is not.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

by A.Kiran » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:19 pm
Stacey:

In the second question

There is one more hint.

In C, D, E .. the options end with IT. here the IT does not make sense ?

is this also right indication for them to be wrong ?

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:55 am
mmslf75 wrote:
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me about the appositive issue. An appositive is a noun modifier - it specifically refers only to another noun. In this case, "the Iliad" is a noun. The word "translating" is not. This is why the appositive "a work" refers only to "the Iliad" - and that meaning is not the correct meaning.

Though it is said that APPOSITIVE can refr only to noun
in corect answer B

, a work... refers to "TRANSLATION of ILLIAD" !!

Why so ?

Can appositive noun modifiers take the structure "X of Y, a .."

IMO 1. D & 2.B

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:16 pm
In the second question

There is one more hint.

In C, D, E .. the options end with IT. here the IT does not make sense ?
Right! The "it" is grammatically incorrect here, so that's a valid reason to eliminate C, D, and E.

the word "it" would refer to "the work" but this whole clause already starts with "the work" so we don't want to repeat it. I can't say: "The work that he pronounced the work the greatest..." It's just "the work that he pronounced the greatest..."

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Followed by:3 members

by nileshdalvi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:58 am
Right! The "it" is grammatically incorrect here, so that's a valid reason to eliminate C, D, and E.

the word "it" would refer to "the work" but this whole clause already starts with "the work" so we don't want to repeat it. I can't say: "The work that he pronounced the work the greatest..." It's just "the work that he pronounced the greatest..."
Stacy,

Is it not that another clause has been started by "that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced" which requires a reference of the work in the form of a pronoun it."

Somewhat hard to digest, but this statement looks good.

" and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced it the greatest translation in any language."

rather than

" and that literary critic Samual Johnson, Pope's contemporary, pronounced the greatest translation in any language."

Somehow I am not convinced with the removal of the pronoun.

Can you please explain?
[/quote]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:54 am
the "and" there indicates parallelism, so first, what are the two parallel things?

"that took him..." and "that literary critic..."

When there is parallelism, both parts of the parallel structure refer to the text before the parallel structure started. What text is that? "a work"

So, we've got two modifiers here:
"a work that took him..." which is a noun modified by a "that" clause
and
"a work that literary critic SJ pronounced..." which is also a noun modified by a "that" clause

In both instances, we do not have a separate clause - both clauses are part of (and subordinate to) the noun "work." If you removed the "his translation of the Iliad, a work" from the sentence, you would also have to remove these modifiers, because it wouldn't make any sense to describe the "work" if that "work" weren't even in the sentence in the first place.

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me