Trying to decipher the MBA admission rejection email

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
"We would like to thank you for investing your time to get to know XYZ school and submit your MBA application. We have thoroughly evaluated your application package and we regret to inform you that we cannot consider you for the Full-time MBA Class starting in January 2015. We would recommend that you apply for the Full-time MBA 2016.Our school focuses on one-to-one teaching in a small yet diverse class size, with a limited number of seats available. The option to defer your application to the class beginning in January 2016, would also give you the benefit of being among the first applicants for the new year, and might give you a better change to secure a place at our school. Having said this, we would like to stress that XYZ School believes that your application satisfies many of our criteria, particularly with respect to capabilities, motivation, and potential. We hope that you will consider applying for the 2016 intake and let us know so we update your application accordingly"

I have received the above email from one of the top European B school for which I had submitted my application on 30th September, 2014 (In the third round). It is a one year program and I was looking forward to get admitted in the January, 2015 intake. My total experience so far is 3.5 years. I wonder what the email wants to convey me especially with regard to my capabilities being a potential candidate. Do you think I should give it a shot again for the January, 2016 intake ? And how does applying in early rounds affects the chances of getting scholarships ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:18 am
Hi sutender,

This feels a bit like a "form letter", but I can interpret it in a certain way (whether that interpretation is correct is something we can clarify - I'll get to that in a moment). The tone of the letter implies that you're probably qualified to receive an invitation, but you may have applied too late. Since many Business Schools look to invite diverse classes of students each year, it might be that your particular background/diversification is already heavily represented in the 2015 class.

Business School Admissions Departments will usually answer questions, if you want to call and speak with someone. If there's a specific reason why you were rejected, then they'll probably tell you. Remember to be professional about all of this - you're asking for some very specific information (that you can use to improve your chances next time) and you might be applying to this school again.

While I'm pretty sure that receiving this rejection letter has made you unhappy, don't forget the REAL goal. If earning an MBA from this school is your goal, then you can work to reapply as advised.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sutender » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:51 am
Thank you very much Rich for your kind reply.