doubt 36

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt 36

by aditya8062 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:23 pm
As part of a unified scholarly approach, Symeon, an Eastern Orthodox saint often called "The New Theologian," collected texts describing existing traditions and relayed them to his readers in a tone of great devotion and authority and borrowing from Asia some aspects of mystical practice.

(A)authority and borrowing from Asia some aspects of mystical practice
(B)authority, and borrowed from Asia some aspects of mystical practice
(C)authority along with the aspects of mystical practice he borrowed from Asia
(D)authority, borrowing from Asia some aspects of mystical practice
(E)authority borrowing some aspects of mystical practice from parts of Asia

my doubt: i am not able to understand as how "comma + borrowing" be correct in option D. the construction "comma + borrowing from Asia some aspects of mystical practice" is NOT the result of the previous clause BUT it can be an event that LED to the clause mentioned before COMMA.

i feel that the better version would have been: Borrowing from Asia some aspects of mystical practice, Symeon, an Eastern Orthodox saint often called "The New Theologian," collected texts describing existing traditions and relayed them to his readers in a tone of great devotion and authority

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Aman Ahuja » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:14 pm
A consequence is not necessary ","+ing can be used for an action which occurs at the same time as action in the main clause. But the doer of the "-ing action" should be the subject in both cases.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:29 am
, + ing here is not the consequence of the action, but the cause of the action. So the choice is correct. Ideally the usage should have been "by + ing" to show the cause.