doubt 33

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt 33

by aditya8062 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:16 am
The relief organization, after two years of fieldwork in Brazil, published a report that demonstrated that as much as one out of eight children live on the streets in conditions of complete poverty.

A.that demonstrated that as much as one out of eight children live on the streets in conditions
B.that demonstrated that as many as one out of eight children living on the streets in conditions
C.which demonstrated that as much as one out of eight children lives on the streets, being
D.that demonstrated that as many as one out of eight children live on the streets in conditions
E.which demonstrated that as many as one out of eight children lives on the streets to be

my doubt: i want to know as what is the subject in the construction "as many as one out of eight children"? is the subject "one" OR "children" OR "many"?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:49 am
aditya8062 wrote: my doubt: i want to know as what is the subject in the construction "as many as one out of eight children"? is the subject "one" OR "children" OR "many"?
As many as is a MODIFIER; it cannot serve as a subject.
If we omit this modifier, we get:
ONE of eight children LIVES in poverty.
Here, the subject is one (singular).
To agree with the subject, lives (verb) must also be singular.

Ignore the SC above.
It does not have a correct answer.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3