Re-applying after 2 yrs to program to which I was admitted

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,
I am an International applicant and was admitted to an US MBA program, starting in spring of 2013, but wasn't able to join due to visa/passport related issues.
I am planning to apply again this year to the same program, but as more than 2 yrs have passed, admission office of the school informed me that my application for this year has to meet all the requirements (essays and recommendations) that are there for a new applicant. Only my GMAT score and transcripts from 2012 will be re-used.
Hence I wanted to check whether I can re-use some of the the essays that I have submitted in 2012?
Also as I need to submit 2 recommendations I am planning to get 1 new reco but for the second one can I ask the person who has provided recommendation for me in 2012 to submit similar (if not same) recommendation again?
Will the admission committee validate my new application data (especially the recos and essays) with the ones that I have submitted in 2012 even though they are asking me to apply as a new applicant?

Any help/suggestion/feedback in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:08 am
Hello Prashi

What school were you admitted to 2 years ago?

As a re-applicant who was previously admitted to the school, your chances of getting selected are pretty good. But in two years, competition to business schools has risen in general. Therefore, you should not take your application for granted. For many schools, the admission essay topics have changed. You should find out the latest requirements for the school along with the details of application. If the essay topics are new, you will have to write new essays. Even if the topics are same, I would advise you to rewrite your essays. You must have gained a lot of experience in th past two years and it is important that you discuss it in your essays. Also, if the school is aware that you are a re-applicant, sending previous essays or partially edited essays will give a bad impression about you. Re-writing essays, from a new perspective will show the adcoms how dedicated you are in attending their school and also that you are a worthy candidate. Use this opportunity to put your best foot forward.

It is good that you are getting a new recommendation letter. But make sure that the previous recommender doesn't forward the exact same letter. If it can be revised, it would be better. You should also check out the latest average GPA and GMAT requirements of the new school. How did you perform on the GMAT last time? Tell me more about your profile so I can be more specific in advising you.

Although this article doesn't apply to you entirely, you could take a few pointers from it https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/how-do ... plications

All the best
www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:08 am
Let me know if you have any more doubts

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:49 am
Even if the essay question is worded the exact same, I wouldn't recommend you using the exact same essay because this would show a lack of effort. But you can use the same experience, provided that experience still applies to the new question. You also should show a different perspective to indicate personal and professional growth.

The same applies for the previous recommendation. The recommendation questions have most likely changed so you would want the recommender to submit answers for these new questions.

Good luck with the reapplication,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.