Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by vinayguptaacm » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:19 am
Hi All,

This is Vinay from India

My profile and score are :
- 3 yrs exp in KPMG consulting and 1 yr in ACM (Logistics Firm - Family Business)
- Bachelors of Business Management (BBM) Degree from Christ College, Bangalore University(3.3 GPA)
- GMAT : 610 (4th Attempt)

I chose the following schools considering that they specialize in MBA in General Management
1. ISB
2. Nanyang Business School
3. SDA Bocconi
4. City University, Cass Business School
5. Cranfield school of Management
6. Mannheim Business School
7. Bath business school
8. Strathclyde Business School
9. Melbourne Business School
10. University of St. Gallen

My long Term Goal is to setup a new division in my Family Business.

Could you tell me the far, reach and safe schools in my selection and whether i have missed out any business schools which specialize in MBA in General Management in Europe, UK and Asia
I am not interested in applying to either US or Canadian colleges.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:41 am
Hello Vinay

Overall you have an average profile. Your GPA is fine; however your GMAT score will be quite a hindrance while applying to good business schools.

Tell me more about your work experience. 4-5 years of work experience is close to the average of most business schools but remember that the quality of your work experience and you leadership skills matter more than the number of years you worked for. In the three years at KPMG, were you promoted? Were you ever a team leader for projects? How was your performance rated? Also, tell me about any extra-curricular activities that you might have been involved in (in and outside of work). Also elaborate a little more on your post MBA goals - why do want to shift from a career in consulting to the expansion of your family business - specific reasons and how an MBA would help you in it.

Most of the schools you are considering have an average GMAT above 650. With an average GPA it could be a little difficult for you with a 610 GMAT. Unless your work experience and extracurricular activities prove that you are an extraordinary applicant, I would suggest you to retake GMAT and apply with a better score.

I would categorize these schools for you as:

Far: ISB, Nanyang Business School

Reach: SDA Bocconi, Cranfield, Mannheim, Melbourne, St. Gallen

Safe: Cass Business School, Strathclydge Business School and Bath Business School

You can also consider NUS Business School and Fudan University Business School.

This article can probably help you in understanding the kind of work experience business schools look for https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/typica ... applicants

All the best
www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:50 am
Hi Vinay,

You can also consider applying to Lancaster university, Emlyon business school which are good schools for general management. Your GPA might compensate your low GMAT score but you need to really work hard and build strong application for the shortlisted schools, you should ideally apply to 6-7 schools to increse your chances. You can also try Chances of B-School Tool by clicking here https://goo.gl/XV8WeG

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com
Bangalore, India
vinayguptaacm wrote:Hi All,

This is Vinay from India

My profile and score are :
- 3 yrs exp in KPMG consulting and 1 yr in ACM (Logistics Firm - Family Business)
- Bachelors of Business Management (BBM) Degree from Christ College, Bangalore University(3.3 GPA)
- GMAT : 610 (4th Attempt)

I chose the following schools considering that they specialize in MBA in General Management
1. ISB
2. Nanyang Business School
3. SDA Bocconi
4. City University, Cass Business School
5. Cranfield school of Management
6. Mannheim Business School
7. Bath business school
8. Strathclyde Business School
9. Melbourne Business School
10. University of St. Gallen

My long Term Goal is to setup a new division in my Family Business.

Could you tell me the far, reach and safe schools in my selection and whether i have missed out any business schools which specialize in MBA in General Management in Europe, UK and Asia
I am not interested in applying to either US or Canadian colleges.