Experts Pls help....

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Experts Pls help....

by clueless_me » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:48 am
Hello There,
I am reaching out here because I need help in getting my score passed 700 and I really need it.
Below is brief about me and why I am reaching out to you :-

Profile:-
I am working as a Manager in Swiss-Bank for Operations and employee of IT Company.

GMAT History:-

I have spent a lot both time and money for a good score in GMAT score and I am not able to reach out to the mark I want to reach.
I am workaholic and bit lethargic in doing stuff that is not related to work.
I have a week point that I don't take things seriously unless I am approaching deadline.
Below is my GMAT history

Date & Time Verbal Quant Score
Wednesday, 10 Sep 2008
1:15 PM 23 40 530
Friday, 22 Oct 2010
4:45 PM 22 41 530
Top of Form
Thursday, 19 Jun 2014
9:00 AM
Bottom of Form 26 46 600

As you can see since 2008 on/off I have been struggling to get 700+ GMAT score and max I have ever reached in any mock-test is 660.
There is no rocket science required to judge I need to work in Verbal and if I may add, it's RC that is screwing up my score more followed by SC and then CR.
Quants I struggle in 700+ level questions and end up spending too much time on it.
Both in 2008 and 2010 I joined some classes and spend 1000's of $ for no use. The problem is they start from very basic and they do not really concentrate more on tough questions. I do well in basic level questions and once I start getting tuff questions I start struggling and I lose confidence.

What I am looking for:-
I want to give GMAT just one more time before I will say "I-Quit" and look for other things I can spend time on, but I do have a dream to grad. top from B-School.
My work is crazy as I am handling big portfolio and can manage to give only 2 hrs max. on weekdays and 5-7 hrs on weekends.
I know myself I get burnt out soon so I can manage to compromise on work a bit and give some extra hours but I cannot focus if I know that exam date is more than 3 months away.
I work well when I have daily target and nearing milestones.
I am looking to prepare 6-8 weeks max and would prefer to take a course/pvt. tutor or some user who can work with me to improve my score.
I can manage but really do not want to spend huge amount.

I believe I have said enough, so my questions is can some help me and how much it gonna cost?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:30 am
Hi clueless_me,

I'd like to know a bit more about your studies for this most recent attempt at the GMAT:

1) What resources did you use to study with?
2) How long did you study?
3) Can you list your scores on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (or did you skip the essay and IR sections?)?

5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Since you have some experience already, I think that your 6-8 week study timeline is doable (and you won't necessarily have to spend a lot of money to hit your goals).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Jacob003 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:09 am
Hello, Please help me to find a good MBA school in India and in USA.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:22 am
Hi Jacob003,

If you have questions about particular schools or the admissions process, then you should talk with an admissions expert (there's a Forum full of them on this site).

When researching Business Schools, you need to think very clearly about a number of factors:
1) What do you want to do with an MBA?
2) What MBA programs best match your career goal?
3) Are you willing to relocate to a different city?
4) Are you willing to take online classes?
5) What does the degree cost and how will you pay for it?
Etc.

Everyone wants to go to a "good school", but you have to do more than pick a school that is well known - you have to put in the proper time and effort to determine which programs are the BEST programs for your goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Jacob003 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:58 am
Hello, Thanks for this great guidance. I will really implement this in my preparation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:08 am
clueless_me wrote:Hello There,
I am reaching out here because I need help in getting my score passed 700 and I really need it.
Below is brief about me and why I am reaching out to you :-

Profile:-
I am working as a Manager in Swiss-Bank for Operations and employee of IT Company.

GMAT History:-

I have spent a lot both time and money for a good score in GMAT score and I am not able to reach out to the mark I want to reach.
I am workaholic and bit lethargic in doing stuff that is not related to work.
I have a week point that I don't take things seriously unless I am approaching deadline.
Below is my GMAT history

Date & Time Verbal Quant Score
Wednesday, 10 Sep 2008
1:15 PM 23 40 530
Friday, 22 Oct 2010
4:45 PM 22 41 530
Top of Form
Thursday, 19 Jun 2014
9:00 AM
Bottom of Form 26 46 600

As you can see since 2008 on/off I have been struggling to get 700+ GMAT score and max I have ever reached in any mock-test is 660.
There is no rocket science required to judge I need to work in Verbal and if I may add, it's RC that is screwing up my score more followed by SC and then CR.
Quants I struggle in 700+ level questions and end up spending too much time on it.
Both in 2008 and 2010 I joined some classes and spend 1000's of $ for no use. The problem is they start from very basic and they do not really concentrate more on tough questions. I do well in basic level questions and once I start getting tuff questions I start struggling and I lose confidence.

What I am looking for:-
I want to give GMAT just one more time before I will say "I-Quit" and look for other things I can spend time on, but I do have a dream to grad. top from B-School.
My work is crazy as I am handling big portfolio and can manage to give only 2 hrs max. on weekdays and 5-7 hrs on weekends.
I know myself I get burnt out soon so I can manage to compromise on work a bit and give some extra hours but I cannot focus if I know that exam date is more than 3 months away.
I work well when I have daily target and nearing milestones.
I am looking to prepare 6-8 weeks max and would prefer to take a course/pvt. tutor or some user who can work with me to improve my score.
I can manage but really do not want to spend huge amount.

I believe I have said enough, so my questions is can some help me and how much it gonna cost?
Hello

GMAT score, though important is not the only component of business school application that will get you in or get you rejected. There are many good business schools that have a low average GMAT score around 670 - 680. I would advise you to work hard and get at least 680 if not 700. Work on strengthening other parts of your application. Excel at your work; build a good profile of extracurricular activities. It is a good thing that you are a workaholic. Your achievements at work will have equal, if not more, importance when your application is being considered by business schools. What is your undergrad GPA? If you have a good GPA with competitive grades in quant courses, an average GMAT score will not be a problem.

I would suggest you to get some personalized help with your GMAT preparation. Focus more on improving your quant score. A bad quant score will hurt your chances more than a bad verbal score. Try to spend at least three hours daily and more time on weekends. You can also take a shot at GRE if you are finding GMAT difficult.

All the best

www.interviewbay.com

Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School

by Jacob003 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:47 am
Great help, Thanks a lot for this useful information.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:720

by digvijayk » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:39 pm
Hi clueless_me,

Perhaps you need to take a step back and prepare by actually learning more from your mistakes and practicing less. In my personal experience and opinion, my score jumped over that 700+ mark because of a few changes in my approach. Let me already brag that I was neither weak in quant nor in verbal as such. I lacked test-taking skills, lacked the importance of psychology, and finally lacked the appreciation for rest.

Here are the changes I made to my strategy:

1. Decided to ask myself a few questions during practice: "Am I right? Am I right for the correct reasons? Is there a better explanation or solution? Is there a SIMPLER(not shorter or faster) way to get to the answer?

2. Stopped practicing infinite number of questions, and just focused on 15-20 questions a day from the OG or GMAT prep test. I extracted every last bit of knowledge, instead of just saying, "I got the right answer".

3. Focused on my test taking skills, instead of solving questions. Timing, quitting, resting and a lot of other things that I learnt FOR FREE on this forum. Basically, if you quit on a question at the right time, you would be able to get to the end. Its not really about ego: "Grrrr... I am going to solve this question.", its about getting the score: "Yay! A 720 without studying much!"

4. I took a lot of rest. There are chances you have already burned yourself out. So, maybe a week's rest will help.

5. You can follow my path to an ok score of 720 on the gmat on btg forum. I went from a high 500 to 720, so I know its possible, and all that information is freely available on this forum.

Hope this helps.
Follow my blog at: https://gmat0.blocked/

No business could ever survive without strategy, so how can your test preparation? Get your strategy in place today. Go to:

https://www.amazon.com/GMAT-Improve-Dras ... 00A7CTV1A/