doubt 13

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt 13

by aditya8062 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:44 am
Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.
a) while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
b) while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
c) while they have introduced 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, and have
d) but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
e) but at the same time introduce some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

my concern: i am concerned about choice A. what is preventing me to consider the construction "comma+having" as adverbial in nature? if i think it as adverbial then this construction can modify the previous clause "they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants", where "they" refers to "Industrialization and modern methods" so the sentence would turn out some thing like this ----> "Industrialization and modern methods have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago------>the adverbial expression "having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago" explaining WHY "Industrialization and modern methods have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants"

i presume that adverbial expression can explain WHY, HOW , WHEN, WHERE

also i will appreciate if i can get some insight on usage of "HAVING" in the construction such as construction 1: "comma+ having" after the main clause; example: MAIN CLAUSE, having ........
construction 2: having, MAIN CLAUSE....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Uva@90 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:48 am
Hi Experts,

Please explain me how come B is correct ?

In option B, does the usage of 'THAT' Correct ? As per the sentence 'THAT' modifes 'CHEMICAL POLLUTANTS' which wrong right ? Instead it should modify 'Industrialization and modern methods'.

If Is miss some thing please clarify me.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Uva.
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:21 am
aditya8062 wrote: i will appreciate if i can get some insight on usage of "HAVING" in the construction such as construction 1: "comma+ having" after the main clause; example: MAIN CLAUSE, having ........
construction 2: having, MAIN CLAUSE....
If they serves to refer to industrialization and modern methods, we get the following:
Industrialization and modern methods were developed more than 50 years ago.
Since industrialization is the DEVELOPMENT of industry, it is redundant to say that INDUSTRIALIZATION was DEVELOPED.
Further, it seems contradictory to say that MODERN methods were developed MORE THAN 50 YEARS AGO.

Also:
On the GMAT, MAIN CLAUSE + COMMA + having + VERBed is almost always WRONG.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 am
thanks Guru
On the GMAT, MAIN CLAUSE + COMMA + having + VERBed is always WRONG.
Guru i remember in that post u had said that NOUN + HAVING VERBED is always wrong . but your above quoted construction is different from the thing that u had told me on that post

ALSO please tell me that in this official SC: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon. ---->the construction "main clause+ having + verbed" is used as correct

please clarify me if i am missing something

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:51 am
aditya8062 wrote:thanks Guru
On the GMAT, MAIN CLAUSE + COMMA + having + VERBed is always WRONG.
Guru i remember in that post u had said that NOUN + HAVING VERBED is always wrong . but your above quoted construction is different from the thing that u had told me on that post

ALSO please tell me that in this official SC: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon. ---->the construction "main clause+ having + verbed" is used as correct

please clarify me if i am missing something
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.
Good catch.
The OA above is an exception.
In my post above, I've qualified my warning regarding COMMA + having + VERBed:
On the GMAT, MAIN CLAUSE + comma + having + VERBed is ALMOST always wrong.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:03 am
Since industrialization is the DEVELOPMENT of industry, it is redundant to say that INDUSTRIALIZATION was DEVELOPED.
Further, it seems contradictory to say that MODERN methods were developed MORE THAN 50 YEARS AGO.
This is ingenious and very convincing too. No one in any forum has thought like this.i wonder why i am not able to think like this !! honestly, under timed situation, i might miss this subtle difference

following is my conclusion about 2 constructions
1) NOUN + HAVING VERBED ----> always wrong because "having verbed" can modify ACTION and NOT a NOUN

2) main clause + comma + having + verbed ----> almost always wrong because "having+ verbed" serves to modify an action that happened before the main clause hence MUST APPEAR before the main clause

GURU kindly tell me if my conclusions about these two constructions are right

thanks and regards