Scored 680 in Veritas Prep Test - How to reach 710+

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi All,

I started preparing for GMAT one month back and started by taking the free GMATPrep Test. I scored 590 in the test. 44QA and 27 Verbal. I started following the MGMAT Strategy Guides and MGMAT SC Guide. I have have gone through the SC guide twice and I continue going through the guide, when ever I get time.

After completing the MGMAT material, I started OG 12. I have completed nearly half of OG. After studying for around a month, I took the free Veritas Prep Test. I scored 680 QA 48 Verbal 35. I am planning to take the exam next month.

I am planning to complete OG12 and OG 13 by then and to take one / two tests every week.

Can you please suggest, what else should I include in my preparation to get to my target score of 710+.
Cheers!!!
Umang :-)

Will Tame GMAT

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:10 am
Hi Umang,

Your studies should include a certain amount of review (going over past questions, re-doing them step-by-step, etc.). With your current scores, you have a greater opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section. However, there are some points that you could pick up in the Quant too.

When you review your CATs, you should try to figure out WHY you got questions wrong. Was it because of a silly mistake or was it because the question was too hard? Did you miss an important detail? Were you too tired? THESE are the issues that you have to fix, partly because fixing them will raise your score, but partly because they should be the easiest issues to deal with.

I'm concerned that your work is so "book-heavy", but if you continue to take the ENTIRE practice CAT every time (including Essay and IR), and score at this level, then you might be fine.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by UmangMathur » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:54 am
Thanks a lot Rich for your instant and informative reply. I have observed that in Verbal, its RC which pulls my score down. While in quant, there were some concept related errors and lot of silly mistakes. Though I am confident that I will learn the concepts and avoid the silly mistakes, I am worried about RC.

In OG12, my accuracy level in SC is below par - 65%, though it is just average in RC (75) and CR (80). I am worried, about my Verbal score overall.
Cheers!!!

Will Tame GMAT

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:50 pm
Hi Umang,

Have you scheduled your Official Test Date yet? If so, then what is it?

You've done quite well considering that you've studied for just 1 month. Assuming that you're going to spend another month on your studies, you have plenty of time to put in the extra work on the Verbal section and improve. Remember that the entire GMAT is standardized and predictable, so the Verbal is as repeatable as the Quant. Some of what you need to know is more knowledge-based (e.g. grammar rules) and some is tactics-based (e.g. how to handle RC and CR, regardless of the length or content of what you're reading), but it's all predictable, so you CAN train to CRUSH IT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by UmangMathur » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:43 pm
Hi Rich.

I haven't scheduled the test yet. I am planning to schedule the test on 22nd of October.

I am confident that by constant practice and solving and understanding the SC question banks I'll be able to get a better hold on SC.

CR is something which has been my favorite and I enjoy solving it, so acing it would be just like pursuing a hobby.

It is RC which gives me goosebumps, refardless of the fact that I love reading.

Thanks a lot for your guidance. I'll work on your suggestions and evaluate my score this weekend. I will bother you and need your suggestions.
Cheers!!!

Will Tame GMAT

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by BestGMATEliza » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:28 pm
Hi Umang!

There are two important steps to breaking the 700 barrier. The first is to pinpoint your weaknesses and address them and the second is to take lots of full length (including AWA and IR) practice CATs.

In order to pinpoint your weaknesses, take a look at your last few CATs and see what type and topic (ie SC:idioms or DS: geometry) you are getting wrong the most and review those topic thoroughly. I also think it is very important to take a lot of full length practice tests. It is very exhausting to fully concentrate for 3.5 hours and it won't come naturally, especially if you are several years out of school. So you essentially have to train your brain to function on full capacity for the full 3.5 hours so you aren't getting fatigued at the end and loosing points. I ended up taking about 15 full length CATs before my test.

Hope this helps!
Eliza Chute
Best GMAT Prep Courses
GMAT course comparison and reviews
Your one stop for all your GMAT studying needs!