e-GMAT SC despite MGMAT SC?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

e-GMAT SC despite MGMAT SC?

by confused13 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 am
Hi,

I used e-GMATs CR and I liked it. Now I plan about taking e-GMAT SC, but I have some doubts.
Does e-GMAT SC have an additional value over MGMAT SC?
I really liked MGMAT SC as well, it is well known to be the standard in GMAT SC and I am not sure whether I need to take SC. Depending on which 10 SC questions from the OG I chose I achieve different accuracy rates.
Any help?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:58 am
Hi confused13,

To master GMAT SCs, you need to know the various grammar rules that are tested AND recognize the patterns that the GMAT typically uses in its prompts and answer choices.

You mentioned that your accuracy differs depending on which SCs you work on. Are there certain types of prompts that give you more "trouble" than others? How well do you perform during general practice vs. when you take a FULL-LENGTH CAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by confused13 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:39 pm
Hi Richard,

difference full-CAT vs. practice: obviously the verbal, as the last section I feel quite tired. Especially, the fully underlined SC's are a torture at the end. During normal practice, I feel "fresh".

by topic: I could not find a true pattern. I have attached the assessment from the MGMAT CATs, making it even harder to correct these issues.

by fermar84 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:38 am
Hi confused13 and Rich, I have the same problem, I already read the full MGMAT SC Book, and it covers a lot of ground, however I took one of the classes from the e-GMAT and they are really good, I think the material is the same but the fact that there is video explaining in a graphical way what is correct/wrong helps a lot.

I agree with the fact that you have to know the grammar rules first, but once you have the rules there is the other important part: Logic, and that is where i find the e-GMAT valuable. What do you think? I don't know if take the e-GMAT which is expensive (for me).

Thanks in advance,
Fernando

by confused13 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:00 am
Same here. 70 USD is money which should be wisely spent. Especially, in case there is no value added to the book. could someone who has used both give a short overview ?

by confused13 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:58 am
UPDATE;

I bought both CR & SC now, and want to give feedback to anyone who is interested:

CR: It is great! I have gone through the first 70 CR Official guide Questions and I got only 4 wrong! That is something I hadn't accomplished before. And no, I don't remember the questions from the first time I went through...
It really made a difference. Before I was just guessing on two final options, but now it's like "ok this one is clearly out of scope". Before the CR course I read the powerscore bible (used book;costed only $3; main reason why i bought it), which i found to be not useful at all. Also read the MGMAT CR but that is even worse. I know that magoosh has a similar approach, but don't know, I find e-GMAT more like math than anything else: obey the rules and you won't be disappointed.

SC: I haven't finished yet, but I actually do have deficiencies in more areas than I thought. MGMAT SC looks a bit superficial compared with e-GMAT. I am nonnative, but I had English as a subject in school for 9 years, have no problems at all when watch TV/Movies in english, but gmat is a totally different story. On the other hand, for some e-GMAT might offer a too "rule-based" approach. No, they don't kill you with grammar, but it becomes like sudoku: you have to KNOW that after 1 and 2, a 3 has to follow, and not just to guess or have some intuition.

I find both courses a bit too high priced, but I don't work fulltime and have a certain opinion about "selling" access to already recorded videos.

But to answer my own question:
e-GMAT INDEED offers content above the one in the MGMAT SC book.

by kutlee » Tue May 26, 2015 6:53 pm
I find e-gmat as laborious exercise to do SC. No doubt material is good. But GMAT is not expecting us to do SC rule by rule. It is good for may be 600 levels. But for higher scores i think bit more thinking is required. I want to enjoy doing SC and e-Gmat was not helping. For me BTG is the best resource of all.