How can I plan my GMAT study?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How can I plan my GMAT study?

by zara922 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:46 am
Hello everyone,

I really need good advice about how to plan for my GMAT study. It's already a year that I am preparing for the exam but I have prepared without any discipline and plan. Like I was studying hard one week then something was happening and I was stopping my studying for some time and forgeting everything I had learned. I have also mixed so many books together that now I am lost about which one to use. Like I have done most of the Manhatten Guides, Official Quantitative and Verbal Guides, Kaplan book, some of Veritas books. I have also downloaded 9 video lessons from Manhatten. I havn't done only Official Guide. Now I have only 2 months to take the exam and I need a good plan. I also don't have much time because now I am studying at university for my master's degree and working. I tried the free Manhatten exam and got the score 610 but I need to improve to get a score 700 or more. So how much time should I study and which books and resourses should I use to be ready for the GMAT at the biggening of September?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:44 am
Hi zara922,

You're not the first person to "juggle" studying for the GMAT with work and a busy life, so while you'll have to do a lot of work and stay organized, you can certainly improve in 2 months time.

To start, I'd like to know a bit more about some of the things that you wrote:

1) You said that you had 2 months, but then you mention being ready at the beginning of September. Did you mean the beginning of NOVEMBER? Have you scheduled an Official Test Date yet (and if so, then what is it?)?

2) If the 2 months is so that you can make an admissions deadline, is it possible to extend your study time and go for a LATER admissions round?

3) When did you take the MGMAT practice CAT? Was it a FULL CAT, including Essay and IR?

You have plenty of books to work with, but books alone are probably not enough to help you to achieve your goal. By your own admission, your studies have been inconsistent. With just 2 months to study and a busy life, you likely need a consistent, professional program to help guide you - so you should look into the various GMAT Courses that are available. Since you've already studied a bit already, a Guided Self-Study Course will probably be best.

The GMAT is a predictable, standardized exam, so you can train to CRUSH it. You just need enough time and the right resources to do so.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by zara922 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:40 pm
Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for replying. I wrote wrong about the deadline, I want to register for the test at the biggening of December. I want to do the GMAT very soon because my TOEFL score will be valid untill March. If I apply later I will have to again take TOEFL.

I took the MGMAT practice CAT about 3 weeks ago, I did the essey but not the IR. This is the first time I will take GMAT and I don't know how difficult it will be. Do you think I need an instructor or I can study myself?

My GPA is low so I need to score very high on GMAT. It is low because I was working during my undergraduate studies. If I have high GMAT score and low GPA do you think I will be admitted to a top business school during 2nd and 3rd rounds or it is better to wait for one more year?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:00 am
Hi zara922,

With a Test Date in early December, you have about 3 months to study, which is good. Studying for the GMAT is similar to having a part-time job - you should expect to put in 10-15 hours per week on your studies. Many Test Takers start off their studies by working with some GMAT books, but most are unable to score 700+ without a GMAT Class or Guided Self-Study Program. By investing in one now, you'll have more time to take advantage of the materials and improve.

To find an option that you like, you should investigate the various GMAT companies; most of them offer some free resources (practice problems, CATs, Trial accounts, etc.) so that you can get a "feel" for the product before you purchase it. After testing out the various options, you should pick the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

Your final questions are more about admissions, so I'd suggest that you ask an Admissions Expert (there's a whole Forum full of them on this site). Right now, without knowing a lot of details about your overall application, there's no real way to answer those questions yet.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by srangra » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:31 am
GMAT examination has been the worldwide choice of test when it comes to applying for leading business schools for MBA courses. Along with your academic and work history, these three are essential for you to get into the different MBA programs. This examination is being accepted by around 5,900 business institutions and management programs worldwide. Why not, by taking this test, it will showcase your knowledge and skills essential in the business school and your career in the business industry.
You can find more information here: Preparing for GMAT