Journalists

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Journalists

by j_shreyans » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:59 pm
Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists. Chandler Owen j
and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader

(A) Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists. Chandler
Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

(B) Published in Harlem, two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later
make his reputation as a labor leader, were the owner and editor of the Messenger.

(C) Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip
Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.

(D) The Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists. Chandler Owen and A. Philip
Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and published in Harlem.

(E) The owner and editor being two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would
later make his reputation as a labor leader, the Messenger was published in Harlem.

OAC

My question is why C we are talking about two young journalists so it should be modify both the journalists and both the journalists should come together but in correct answer i guess it's not.

Pls correct me if am wrong and explain me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 pm
Hi j_shreyans,

SC prompts that involve multiple commas are usually based on either Modification or Parallelism rules.

1) Modification: The opening phrase of the sentence "Published in Harlem, ...." implies modification. IF we're going to keep this opening phrase, then what follows must whatever was published in Harlem. IF we're not going to keep this phrase, then we have to reconstruct the opening part of the sentence. Answers A and B can be eliminated because they don't use the opening phrase to properly modify what comes next.

2) Pronoun placement: From the prompt (and the remaining answers), we know that The Messenger was published by 2 people (Randolph and Owen). The pronoun phrase "his reputation" implies that just 1 of the 2 was a labor leader. We need an answer that "splits" the 2, so that we can properly place the pronoun "his" on just 1 of the two people. Answers D and E can be eliminated because they do not split the two people.

Final Answer: C

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]