Please help me evaluate my profile

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please help me evaluate my profile

by akshaydixit88 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:10 am
Hi,
Huge fan of the site, helped me reach 760 on GMAT from my first mock score of 710.

Need expert opinion on profile evaluation.
I am targeting Ivy League B-schools, my dream school is Stanford.

Bio -
Indian
Male
26yrs

Acads -
Xth - 89%
XIIth - 85%
Bachelor of Mech Engg: (BITS Pilani, amongst top 5 Engineering Schools in India) - 85%
Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Management (NITIE Mumbai, amongst top 10 Indian BSchool) - 79%
Won more than 10 national case study competitions during the 2 years at B-School.

GMAT score: 760, IR:8, AWA: Pending result.

Work Experience - 3.5 years
Working in Marketing dept of a semiconductor company for last 30 months. High visibility amongst senior management and the job provides global exposure and travel. Ranked in the top tier amongst peers. Promoted once 6 months back. (Mid Level profile)

Parallely working on a mobile applications based start up: Three products in pipeline, expecting Sep end launch. One is an ambitious product for which we outsourced production, other two are smaller like a game and a GMAT quiz app.

Extra Cs -
1) Was appointed student brand manager for a japanese auto company, selected by a national case competition telecasted on Bloomberg.
2) Won several (>10) b-plan and corporate case study challenges
3) Certified in CPIM, Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Derivatives trading etc.
4) Registered for over 20 courses on Coursera in last 2 years (din't take any tests though, so I am not sure if I should highlight this. Although I learnt a lot. eg. Android programming and made a few game and quiz apps and also first corporate app for my company)
5) Won National Talent Search competition and Olympiads during High School years.
6) Was the media committee head for my BSchool and an executive committee member of NSS for my Engineering School.
7) Was extremely underweight (~40kg) till 3rd year of engineering, when I decided to do something about it and stated a dedicated exercise routine. Consider myself Athletic now.
8) Taken part in sporadic charitable events but nothing major.

My questions -
1) Pls let me know my chances of an MBA at Ivy league schools. If not, which are my best bets?
2) My ambition is to be a technology entrepreneur, so I wish to be in the Silicon Valley.
3) I think my negative is my B-School GPA, I din't concentrate on acads since it was very "memorize and write as much as you can" oriented grading and I was more interested in competing with students from other schools through case competition.
4)I am looking for 2015 intake, won't be ready by round 1 unfortunately.

Post MBA I want to pursue Tech Entrepreneurship or get into a good management consulting.

Thank you for reading the long post and I appreciate your honest feedback.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:21 pm
Hi akshaydixit88,

Thank you for your post!

One thing to keep in mind is that as an Indian national with a degree from an Indian institution, you come from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. Many of your fellow country men and women with similar academic histories are also targeting top programs, and that makes it even more difficult to truly stand out or differentiate yourself. This would make your GMAT score and GPA even more important factor in your candidacy. Fortunately, a 760 GMAT is stellar and will help you stand out.

Moreover, your work experience in marketing should help you stand out from the typical IT/engineering applicants. Given that you have already attended business school, however, you'll need to be very clear about why you need an MBA now. Partaking in case study competitions is certainly worth highlighting, as you should be able to draw on these as evidence of what you could contribute to a given program. Given your interest in Silicon Valley, look into Berkeley / Haas and UCLA / Anderson. Your GMAT score should help you stand out at these top programs. The innovation you are demonstrating at the mobile app start-up should also help you showcase your entrepreneurship and passion for the industry. Stanford, unfortunately, is always a reach program since they have a very low acceptance rate. You would really need to dig deeper for a vision to change the world and consider how you further stand out beyond the basic admissions checklist (e.g. GMAT, work experience, etc.). If you decide to pursue consulting post-MBA, most top programs have high placement in this industry, so you should consider what other criteria matter to you (e.g. location, target firms, class size, etc.). One last note, in regards to the activities you've listed, stay focused on the ones you achieved as an adult, as well as the leadership and community-oriented ones (as opposed to your physical training).

When you are ready to begin your applications, contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.