Retake or not? 640 - Q44 V34

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Retake or not? 640 - Q44 V34

by youngandambitious » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:58 pm
Hi everyone,

Can you please help me evaluate my chances/options for MBA programs based on the following criteria?

Who am I?
25, white male, American
640 - GMAT
Undergrad - 3.3 GPA JMU - Business Management
Work Experience: 3 years in technology SAAS Sales and past year international software sales (4 years exp. by Sept. 2015 entry date or 4-5 by 2016 entry date - still deciding)

I've been part of a company that went public and excelled in an environment with high turnover, a competitive and demanding work environment while the company grew and changed rapidly in just a few short years right before it had an IPO. I have experience training a sales team in India and working on my own cross-divisional projects (3 months in India) and now I have since (last year) switched to a new company where I created the international business plan and me and one other guy are essentially running a startup within a public company having to justify every decision we make while bringing in revenue and advocating for more resources.

Where am I looking?
I am still open to suggestions but since my interests are getting a more rich international cultural experience, creating a good ROI for myself after business school, and technology I have determined that the below are my top choices:

IE
ESADE
IESE
UNC
UCLA or Berkley
LBS

What's my GMAT sory?

Rewind - 4 years ago I took my GMAT Oct. of my senior year - cold turkey, I just walked in and got a 550. I thought it was a business test and not the HS math and reasoning test that it is so I was rusty and unprepared. I also had a job interview the same day and my mind was distracted. I knew by this point no quality MBA program would take someone right out of college but I was committed from the fee and thought why not since it lasts 5 years.

Fast forward to today - I just took the GMAT this morning and scored a 640 after about 3 months of studying. Basically, I studied casually for about a month and took a practice test and got a 610, then I studied a lot harder and took it after about another month of studying and got a 670. Then the last 3 weeks I have been crazy busy with work and pretty much have been working 10-16 hours days in Sales trying to hit my end of our fiscal year quota. This has left me only about 10 hours of studying in the last 3 weeks combined. So the day before the test (yesterday) I took one final practice test and got a 650. While it seems that while I did score around my predicted score I think that if I was able to "cram" the last 3-4 weeks rather than being consumed by work I could have a potential of around 690-700. There were a few easy questions that I know I missed and recalled the answer to shortly after submitting my answer and I wanted to scream back, back, back but I restrained.

So now I am, stuck with a few short weeks until some complete applications are due. When I started studying for the test I thought that I'd have more time to figure out what program I wanted to do and what Ideal score I needed to get. But here I am with little (or no) time for a fall class of 2015 MBA program. Would I be better off waiting another year to fine tune my MBA program desires, my resume, (maybe my GMAT but I'd rather not), my extra curricular activities and recommendations, or can I get into the above mentioned schools with where I am at now?

My weaknesses
From studying for the GMAT I've concluded that my quant weakness is problem solving and my verbal weakness is probably sentence correction and so I feel like if I need to take it again then I could either focus hard and self-study again and really plan out the test at a better period of time in my life to bring it up to a 680-700. Or I could pay for an expensive tutor and get it up to a 700 or above. But is it worth it?

If I am not planning on going into investment banking or a top consulting firm do I really need a top 5 program?

I haven't secured any letters of recommendation yet or even looked at essay requirements which I'm slightly worried about.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:00 pm
Hey... I think you may have posted this twice --- I put a reply on this topic to your other post.

Good luck!!!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)