doubt 8

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt 8

by aditya8062 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:38 am
Tim Ferris wrote The 4-Hour Workweek, an eye-opening book, that made it to the New York Times Best Seller List.

1) that made it to

2) that had made it to

3) that eventually

4) which made it to

5) who made it too

my doubt: is "made it to the New York Times Best Seller List" correct construction? i feel that the correct construction should be "made to the New York Times Best Seller List"

ALSO in option D won't "which" be incorrect?

D says: Tim Ferris wrote The 4-Hour Workweek, an eye-opening book, which made it to the New York Times Best Seller List
what does "which" referring to? by default "which" seems to refer to "an eye-opening book" . is it an "an eye-opening book" that made to the best seller list OR is it the "the book The 4-Hour Workweek" itself?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:11 am
aditya8062 wrote:Tim Ferris wrote The 4-Hour Workweek, an eye-opening book, that made it to the New York Times Best Seller List.

1) that made it to

2) that had made it to

3) that eventually

4) which made it to

5) who made it too

my doubt: is "made it to the New York Times Best Seller List" correct construction? i feel that the correct construction should be "made to the New York Times Best Seller List"
To make it to X is a colloquial expression that means to reach X.
John made it to the island.
Conveyed meaning:
John reached the island.
This expression seems too colloquial to appear on the GMAT.
ALSO in option D won't "which" be incorrect?

D says: Tim Ferris wrote The 4-Hour Workweek, an eye-opening book, which made it to the New York Times Best Seller List
what does "which" referring to? by default "which" seems to refer to "an eye-opening book" . is it an "an eye-opening book" that made to the best seller list OR is it the "the book The 4-Hour Workweek" itself?
In D, which lacks a clear referent.
Ignore this SC; it does not have a correct answer.
The following would be correct:
Tim Ferris wrote The 4-Hour Workweek, an eye-opening book that topped The New York Times Best Seller List.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3