annouced that sb will vs. would

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

annouced that sb will vs. would

by MICHAELIU » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:10 am
Hi,

could you help me understand better on the two sentences below, both are correct in OG perspective.

1, John had long been expected to share more house clean tasks, but he just recently ANNOUNCED that he WILL share the house clean task by the beginning of next year, but only if Linda, his little sister, shares some of those house tasks too.

## refering to OG:

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) had long been expected to announce a reduction in output to bolster sagging oil prices, but officials of the organization just recently announced that the group will pare daily production by 1.5 million barrels by the beginning of next year, but only if non-OPEC nations, including Norway, Mexico, and Russia, were to trim output by a total of 500,000 barrels a day.

2, The company ANNOUNCED that its performance WAS better than analysts had expected and that its business WOULD improve in the sencond half of the year.

##refering to OG:
The company announced that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts had expected it to and its business will improve in the second half of the year.

Does the sencend one use WOULD only because that it needs to be parallism with "WAS"?

3, The company ANNOUNCED that its business WILL improve in the sencond half of the year. Is this sentense correct?

Thanks, Michael

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:20 am
Hi MICHAELIU,

We use "will" as follows:

- to talk about the future, i.e. to say what we believe will happen
- to talk about what people want to do or are willing to do
- to make promises and offers

Example: We will be late for the play, so we will have to take a taxi. <-- Notice that "be" is the present tense.

"Would" is the past tense form of "will." Because it is a past tense it is used:

- to talk about the past.
- to talk about hypotheses, i.e things that we believe to be true, rather than actually/factually being true
- for politeness, i.e a "softer" way to show intent

Example: I thought we would be late for the play, so we would have to take the train. <-- Notice that "thought" is the past tense.