for those who score 50/51 on Q

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

for those who score 50/51 on Q

by synchrodestiny » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:13 pm
Hey Guys

I have my GMAT in 3 days. My query is for the ones who got 50/51 on Quant on the actual GMAT. Just a few days before the exam, say like 3 days, did you guys used to get ALL practice questions right?

Like in my case, I took Manhattan , Powerprep and GMAT prep, and scored 44-46 on Manhattan and 48, 49 on latter tests (quant only). I still get 5 wrong per 40 'hard' questions that I am practising from 2015 Quant GMAT Review Online Resources. Were you guys better off? Was your quant performance pre exam Airtight so to say? Anxious to know about your mindset just before the test, Sirs and Mams ! :)

Thanks

Synchro

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:36 pm
Hi Synchro,

Earning a Q50/51 in the Quant section is NOT really about "getting the hard questions correct", it's about not getting questions wrong that you COULD reasonably get correct. In simple terms, don't make any silly/little/minor mistakes. You can afford to get some questions wrong, but not any of the ones that you're capable of getting correct.

When you scored Q48, did you do a full review of that Quant section? I bet that there were a handful of questions that you got wrong but could have gotten correct. To hit the Q51, you have to pick up those missed points.

Right now, your practice doesn't need to be "airtight" for you to hit this goal on Test Day. During the exam though, you need to focus on doing calm, organized, thorough work without any deviations.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by synchrodestiny » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 pm
Thanks Rich

That really helps. You are right. I did make silly mistakes and have improved upon them. Content-wise, I missed just one or two questions in these tests. Mostly it was either silly mistakes or bad time management. Like, in my earlier Manhattan Tests, I did spend over 5 minutes on two questions, with the result that I had to guess on 6 of later ones. Of course, with time, now I have learnt to 'Let go!' of the irksome questions and Move on.

Yes, its about thorough calm and organised work.

Thanks again
Synchro

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:53 pm
synchrodestiny wrote:Thanks Rich

That really helps. You are right. I did make silly mistakes and have improved upon them. Content-wise, I missed just one or two questions in these tests. Mostly it was either silly mistakes or bad time management. Like, in my earlier Manhattan Tests, I did spend over 5 minutes on two questions, with the result that I had to guess on 6 of later ones. Of course, with time, now I have learnt to 'Let go!' of the irksome questions and Move on.

Yes, its about thorough calm and organised work.

Thanks again
Synchro
Since your exam is just tomorrow or so therefore no more suggestion except two lines

1) Don't make silly mistakes
2) All the best!!! ;)
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:35 am
These days, I think Q51 = 0 to 1 wrong and Q50 = 2 to 4 wrong.

Personally I bounce between the two: I usually make a couple sloppy mistakes due to boredom, overconfidence, bad handwriting, etc. If I only make one sloppy mistake I get Q51, and if I make more than one sloppy mistake I get Q50.

I have observed that there's a big gap between Q49 and Q50: once you score Q50, you're rather unlikely to score Q49 or worse again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:03 am
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote:These days, I think Q51 = 0 to 1 wrong and Q50 = 2 to 4 wrong.
Plus (on test day), you can get all of the experimental questions wrong.
Those are the questions denoted by an asterisks :-).... #mythstarter

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by abhasjha » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:24 am
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote:These days, I think Q51 = 0 to 1 wrong and Q50 = 2 to 4 wrong.

well matt on the gmat prep i have scored Q50 with 8 mistakes and with 5 mistakes 51...

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:29 am
You are right about it abhasjha.

But surprisingly Q-51 in Final GMAT is not easily available anywhere in past 3 months as I have been noticing however many people have been getting 51 in Quant in GMAT Prep. Therefore, I also want to rehash the same guess that matt has mentioned here.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:59 pm
abhasjha wrote:well matt on the gmat prep i have scored Q50 with 8 mistakes and with 5 mistakes 51...
As Brent mentions above, the GMATPrep software has to correct for experimental questions on the real exam, but even so, I find those numbers surprising - judging by my students, 5-8 wrong on GMATPrep is Q47-Q49.

I would be shocked if you could miss 2 (or more) non-experimental questions on the real exam and still get Q51, especially today when the standard is much higher, as Bhoopendra mentioned above. (Not to mention that when I was studying for the real exam back in 2009, I had one CAT with the first 35 right and the last 2 blank, and I still only got Q50.)

by synchrodestiny » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 am
Wow , a lot has been on since I started this post. Sorry I was away. Well turns out that I did manage a 50 on actual GMAT. The fact is that 1/2 questions really bummed me out and i was in real sweat (i am serious). I thought of giving up the exam as i thought i wont be able to score more than 40/45 in any case, and then since i invested 5 min on that one, I 'over-rushed' past others and some did not feel confident i was making the right choices. Poor time management left me with around 9 minutes when I hit 36th question or was it 37th ..dont remember.

Do you concur with my inferences below?
- As Rich has rightly pointed out, its about not getting easier questions wrong. So my approach was successful. No 'Hi-fidelity' stuff, 800 GMATs and All except I did 10 sets in Manhattan Advanced GMAT, more to be in touch with 'everything'. Rest, I focused on OG13, 2015 Quant Review and most importanntly, i revised and re-revised and re-re-revised all 37X4 questions from GMAT preps and Powerpreps..

I worked out a logic that these tests are designed not keeping in mind that Synchro is gonna take the exam and we shud not leak the exam out to him. These are pivotal questions and with 37X4=148 questions perfectly mastered (+ 50 more from Manhattan), I had a fair chance of bumping into some familiar squirrels and foxes.

It somehow worked. I haev another GMAT to improve my Verbal score in next 15 days. I am not budging from this approach, plus am plugging some other gaps I witnessed last time.

Would love to hear your view on this.

by synchrodestiny » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:34 pm
Please lemme know your views on this..thanks

synchrodestiny wrote:Wow , a lot has been on since I started this post. Sorry I was away. Well turns out that I did manage a 50 on actual GMAT. The fact is that 1/2 questions really bummed me out and i was in real sweat (i am serious). I thought of giving up the exam as i thought i wont be able to score more than 40/45 in any case, and then since i invested 5 min on that one, I 'over-rushed' past others and some did not feel confident i was making the right choices. Poor time management left me with around 9 minutes when I hit 36th question or was it 37th ..dont remember.

Do you concur with my inferences below?
- As Rich has rightly pointed out, its about not getting easier questions wrong. So my approach was successful. No 'Hi-fidelity' stuff, 800 GMATs and All except I did 10 sets in Manhattan Advanced GMAT, more to be in touch with 'everything'. Rest, I focused on OG13, 2015 Quant Review and most importanntly, i revised and re-revised and re-re-revised all 37X4 questions from GMAT preps and Powerpreps..

I worked out a logic that these tests are designed not keeping in mind that Synchro is gonna take the exam and we shud not leak the exam out to him. These are pivotal questions and with 37X4=148 questions perfectly mastered (+ 50 more from Manhattan), I had a fair chance of bumping into some familiar squirrels and foxes.

It somehow worked. I haev another GMAT to improve my Verbal score in next 15 days. I am not budging from this approach, plus am plugging some other gaps I witnessed last time.

Would love to hear your view on this.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:43 pm
Hi synchro,

The GMAT is remarkably consistent when it comes to the concepts that it tests; the "packaging" of those concepts will vary from Test Taker to Test Taker, but if you're comfortable with the various material that you've seen during your studies (and you're willing to do the necessary work so that you don't make any silly mistakes), then you can score at this level again. Don't get egotistical about this process though - the GMAT gives you the score that you EARN - and you clearly earned it on the Quant section the last time. However, that is NOT a guarantee that you'll score at that level again, unless you EARN IT AGAIN.

You can actually use that same perspective against the Verbal section, but the patterns that you'll deal with there are more about the "logic" behind how RC and CR prompts are written, the consistently of the question types and the common types of wrong answers that occur on these questions. SC is a mix of knowledge and patterns though, so you have to remember your grammar rules.

Work hard, take nothing for granted, prove that you're correct (on the pad!) - and you'll earn the score that you deserve.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]