Low GMAT score: Profile Evaluation needed

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Low GMAT score: Profile Evaluation needed

by SumeshL » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:11 pm
Hi Everyone,

I gave my GMAT today but got a very disappointing score of 610(Q48; V27; IR3).

Here are some more details about my profile:
1) Work Exp: 2 years in IT at a top French Investment Bank.
2) Good extracurricular and co-curricular activities. This includes leading college society for a year.
3) 6 month Internship during college.
4) Computer Engineering from Mumbai University - 64% aggregate.

I want to apply to ESSEC, EDHEC, HEC and ESCP for their MSC in Management/ Finance courses.
Can someone please help with the following questions?
1) Will the IR score affect my profile too much?
2) With the current score and profile, how good are my chances in the schools mentioned above?

Thanks for such a wonderful community.
Anxiously awaiting some replies.

Regards

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:25 am
Hi SumeshL

First off I would like to know regarding your decision to go ahead with a MS in Management. You already have 2 years of experience at this point and I think by the time you join the program you shall have 3 years. Have you given a thought to applying for an MBA program?

What are your aspirations after an MS?

I think you should re evaluate your program choice and then maybe think about colleges.

Good Luck!

Manya Abroad

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SumeshL » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:41 am
Hi Manya,

a) I do not have any management experience with my current firm. Though I have handled some off the job management tasks, I wasn't sure if no experience with management and a low GMAT will help me get into any good university for an MBA degree. Also, the general class profile of an MBA course has people with an average of 4 years of experience versus an MiM course which has people with average experience of 2 years.

b) Another factor which pushed me towards MiM was that an MBA course requires a lot more investment than a MiM course. Moreover, the chances of a scholarship are less, w.r.t my profile, for an MBA as compared to MiM.

What are your thoughts on that?

Though, after your answer, I am re-thinking about the MBA vs. MS in Management/Finance.

But still I would be grateful to know, with my current profile, my chances of getting into a MiM/F or MBA program especially in the universities I mentioned above.

Many Thanks and Regards

Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:55 am
Hi Sumesh,

You have decent profile for Masters programs. The list of shortlisted schools also looks realistic, especially HEC offers very good programs in Finance so go ahead and start working on your applications. This is where you can add value to your candidature. For measuring your chances for top B-Schools try Chances OF B-School Tool by visiting here https://goo.gl/11s5zu

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com

a
SumeshL wrote:Hi Everyone,

I gave my GMAT today but got a very disappointing score of 610(Q48; V27; IR3).

Here are some more details about my profile:
1) Work Exp: 2 years in IT at a top French Investment Bank.
2) Good extracurricular and co-curricular activities. This includes leading college society for a year.
3) 6 month Internship during college.
4) Computer Engineering from Mumbai University - 64% aggregate.

I want to apply to ESSEC, EDHEC, HEC and ESCP for their MSC in Management/ Finance courses.
Can someone please help with the following questions?
1) Will the IR score affect my profile too much?
2) With the current score and profile, how good are my chances in the schools mentioned above?

Thanks for such a wonderful community.
Anxiously awaiting some replies.

Regards

Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:17 am
Hi Sumesh

With respect to the queries you had please find my answers below:

a) I do not have any management experience with my current firm. Though I have handled some off the job management tasks, I wasn't sure if no experience with management and a low GMAT will help me get into any good university for an MBA degree. Also, the general class profile of an MBA course has people with an average of 4 years of experience versus an MiM course which has people with average experience of 2 years.

That is okay. A lot of students who go for an MBA not all of them have management work experience. Yes average class experience is 4-5 years. But a lot of schools might feel that you will fit into their MBA program rather than a Masters program. Also what you will learn in MIM especially since you have work experience might leave you asking for more.

b) Another factor which pushed me towards MiM was that an MBA course requires a lot more investment than a MiM course. Moreover, the chances of a scholarship are less, w.r.t my profile, for an MBA as compared to MiM.

Also EDHEC, ESSEC etc would be easy to crack with a score of 610 but they are not great enough schools to go as has been proved by numerous articles and surveys. HEC and ESCP would be tough with this score, HEC being extremely competitive. Scholarships are tougher in MIM as compared to MBA as the cost you incur is directly proportional to the scholarships you get which is not much in case of MIM.

For Masters in Finance also you would have to reconsider giving your GMAT and it would be as more specialized degree than MS Management and you can consider it definitely if not an MBA.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Manya Abroad