Data Sufficiency

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Data Sufficiency

by RiyaR » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:18 am
A 10,200 gallon water tank has a leak. Eery day twice as much water escapes as on the preious day. In how many days would the tank be half empty?

1. 20 gallons escaped on the first day
2. 2560 gallons escaped on the last day?

Is the answer for this A or D?? I chose A

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:56 am
Hi RiyaR,

What is the source of this question? I ask because there's a problem with some of the wording. I think that the "intent" of the question is that the tank will leak water UNTIL it's half empty, then it will stop leaking (otherwise on the last day, the remaining water won't actually be a "double" of the day before it). There's also the issue of "the leak" - are we meant to "remove" all the lost water at once or is the water escaping at a particular rate? GMAT questions are carefully worded to remove this type of "interpretational bias."

All that having been said, here's what I think the author of this question was "going for".....

We're told that a 10,200 gallon tank has a leak. With each passing day, twice as much water is lost as on the previous day. We're asked how many days does it take for the tank to be half empty (meaning 5100 gallons are lost).

Fact 1: 20 gallons lost on the first day.

From this, we could figure out how much is lost on each day (just keep doubling the number) and we would eventually hit the "half-way" point (5100 gallons lost) that we're asked about.
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT

Fact 2: 2560 gallons lost on the last day.

From this, we can work backwards to figure out how much is lost on each prior day (dividing the number in half)

By adding up these numbers, we get exactly 5100 gallons, so we know how many days it takes to hit 5100 exactly. I believe that the author intends for this to be considered SUFFICIENT.

However, if we keep cutting the numbers "in half", we get...

Etc.

This would mean that it COULD take longer to hit the half-way point, but there wouldn't be an exact "end of day" when we hit the 5100 gallons (since we don't know if the water is automatically removed from the tank or if it's lost at a constant rate each day. In this scenario, Fact 2 would be INSUFFICIENT.

My guess is whoever wrote this considers the correct answer to be D, but this question has some real biases/problems, so you wouldn't see it on Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:23 pm
RiyaR wrote:A 10,200 gallon water tank has a leak. Eery day twice as much water escapes as on the preious day. In how many days would the tank be half empty?

Answer: Option D
Attachments
Solution 63.jpg
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:23 pm
RiyaR wrote:A 10,200 gallon water tank has a leak. Eery day twice as much water escapes as on the preious day. In how many days would the tank be half empty?

Answer: Option D
Attachments
Solution 63.jpg
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour