4 year education requirement in US 7 Canada

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Team,

I will be applying to business schools in US and Canada. But majority of the business schools there require 4 year education background and I have only 15 years. I'm planning to apply for September 2015 intake and will posses 2 years of full time work experience by then.

Please suggest me ways to circumvent this issue?
Are there any good schools which overlook this criteria ?
Will i need to undergo a 1 year Diploma program to circumvent that requirement? If yes what kind of courses are recognized for acceptance?

Please provide me your valuable inputs. Also if anybody has faced this issue before and found a way out please let me know about it as well.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:56 am
Siddharthgupta wrote:Hi Team,

But majority of the business schools there require 4 year education background and I have only 15 years.
Do you have an undergraduate degree?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by josh227 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:52 am
It seems that you have 3 year under graduate degree.The first thing is it must be a regular degree from a college affiliated to an accredited University. Few universities even accept 3 year degrees.Just check FAQs if u visit any college website.
The best thing to do to overcome 4 year degree condition is to go for Masters.That is the best thing to do.
If u have completed Bachelor of Commerce,go for Master of Commerce (M.com) this must be sufficient.
If u intend to pursue accounting courses like CPA, M.com will give u 150 credits which is required for the eligibility.
Go for Masters.It is always safe. there is also a possibility to get u r visa rejected if certain prerequisites are not satisfied.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by MBA Decoder » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:19 am
Siddharth,

You have lower work experience than most candidates, therefore I think you can consider doing a master's program. We had helped one of our applicants with 15 years education apply to some b-schools last year. Some programs that accept 3 years education are- Foster, Carlson, BYU- Mariott, Mason (and some more)

Some of the top programs like Wharton, Booth, Tuck, Darden, Stern also accept 15 years of education, but considering your low work experience, I would expect you to make a realistic judgment about where you want to apply.