Looking for MBA in Canada with a 620 GMAT score

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I gave the gmat a few days back and scored just 620....so the tier 1 colleges are out of scope... is there any good college in Canada where I can apply with this score?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:37 pm
GMAT is only one component of your academic profile (along with quality of undergraduate institution, degree, and major, GPA, etc.) and academic profile is only one component of your overall candidacy (along with professional, community and personal dimensions). That said take a look at Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Toronto, York University, University of British Columbia, McGill and University of Alberta.

Richard Ivey School of Business has an average GMAT of 669; University of Toronto has an average GMAT of 673; University of Toronto has an average GMAT of 660; York University has an average GMAT of 650; University of British Columbia has an average GMAT score of 646; McGill has an average GMAT score of 670; and University of Alberta has an average GMAT score around your score at 620.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

by icemansprime » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:34 pm
Dear Mr. Cohan,

Thank you for the information.

I wish to pursue my MBA in Canada, in 2014.

I've few questions, I'd really appreciate if you could help me out here.

1. When's the deadline (month) for applying in top Business Schools in Canada, usually? (I'm planning to take GMAT in Mar-April 2014)

2. My profile: Work experience - 2.5 years in a Japanese trading firm in India. (After MBA International Business from India). Would MBA degree prove an obstacle for securing admission in top Canadian B-schools? How do they see candidates already with an MBA degree (Double MBA) provided, I manage to get a good GMAT score?

3. Are there any B-Schools which offer specialized MBA courses (in International Business or International Trade)?

4. How's the perception of 1 year MBA program among Canada and US based employers? Is it positive? What are the job prospects?

5. How's the scenario of visa after completion of MBA?

6. What could be the average tuition fee for B-Schools in Canada? And, living cost per year?

Best regards

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:45 am
You can see some of the deadlines to these schools on the home page of our website (www.mbaprepadvantage.com). If you wish to begin your studies in 2014 (as opposed to 2015), you might wish to take your GMAT earlier to fit in with these deadlines.

A prior MBA is not on obstacle, but you need to explain how the MBA of your target schools will help you accomplish your goals in light of the fact that you already have an MBA.

Your GMAT score along with your performance at your prior MBA and undergraduate programs will all be factored to consider your ability to perform academically in the classroom.

On our rankings page we list rankings by specialization (www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog/mba-school-rankings/). Hopefully, this will help you.

The perception of the 1-year program among recruiters is positive but a more important factor is the respective strength of the career center at your MBA school. What type of relationships do they have with U.S. employers?

For greater detail on work visas you might want to consult the State Department.

For average tuitions and living expenses consult the web sites of each of your target schools.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Followed by:1 members

by thankisanjay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:21 am
Looking for good B-schools in canada

Profile summary:
Bachelors of Engineering in mechanical discipline.
Work ex: 37 months ( EPC project management )
class X - 92%
class XII - 89.4%
graduation - 71%
GMAT score: 640
Good records of co-curricular activities and community services.

I want to apply for 2015 intakes.

Pl. guide which B-school i should apply for?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:09 pm
thankisanjay,

Some of the schools in Canada that you may consider are: Schulich, Queen's, Sauder. and McGill. Their average GMAT scores are ballpark in the range of your GMAT score.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:39 am
Hi,

You can also target Rotman, Ivey, University of Calagary, Alberta. Again B-School selection mainly depends on your career goals, post MBA which sector you want to get into? So tell us more about your career goals that will help to shortlist right set of B-Schools based on your profile.You can also try B-School Selector tool by clicking here https://goo.gl/ocaeu6

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com
thankisanjay wrote:Looking for good B-schools in canada

Profile summary:
Bachelors of Engineering in mechanical discipline.
Work ex: 37 months ( EPC project management )
class X - 92%
class XII - 89.4%
graduation - 71%
GMAT score: 640
Good records of co-curricular activities and community services.

I want to apply for 2015 intakes.

Pl. guide which B-school i should apply for?

by iaratul » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:47 am
MBAPrepAdvantage wrote:You can see some of the deadlines to these schools on the home page of our website (www.mbaprepadvantage.com). If you wish to begin your studies in 2014 (as opposed to 2015), you might wish to take your GMAT earlier to fit in with these deadlines.

A prior MBA is not on obstacle, but you need to explain how the MBA of your target schools will help you accomplish your goals in light of the fact that you already have an MBA.

Your GMAT score along with your performance at your prior MBA and undergraduate programs will all be factored to consider your ability to perform academically in the classroom.

On our rankings page we list rankings by specialization (www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog/mba-school-rankings/). Hopefully, this will help you.

The perception of the 1-year program among recruiters is positive but a more important factor is the respective strength of the career center at your MBA school. What type of relationships do they have with U.S. employers?

For greater detail on work visas you might want to consult the State Department.

For average tuitions and living expenses consult the web sites of each of your target schools.

Good luck,
Mr. Cohan, I have a peculiar line of experience, hence I'm doubtful of my success in any B-Schools

I have 2 years experience in digital marketing (online) - my company is US based and my employer will provide me with a recommendation letter. Given the fact that my experience is not of traditional experiences (eg. working in an actual office), what are my chances in getting into a good school?

FYI, I have a CGPA of 3.07 (bachelor in business administration and majored in marketing) + GMAT 660 (80th Percentile) + IELTS Overall Score 7. I wish to pursue digital marketing in the future. My target school would be the sort of Rotman. Even if I do get enrolled, is there a chance of acquiring scholarship for my studies?

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:36 am
Digital Marketing is not peculiar experience at all. Last year, I had a professional promoter as a client and the year before a professional gambler. Those are a little peculiar. Many top schools, such as Haas and NYU Stern, have digital specializations. Contact Haas' Digital Media and Entertainment Club (DMEC) and look at NYU Stern's EMT (Entertainment, Media and Technology Program) - https://www.stern.nyu.edu/experience-ste ... gy-program. Johnson has even started a Tech MBA in New York City in which digital media is a very big part (https://tech.cornell.edu/programs/master ... l-tech-mba).

The lower GPA and GMAT will hurt you. The average GPA at Rotman is 3.5 and the average GMAT is 672 so you are hoping to gain admissions, let alone get a scholarship. I would suggest for you to retake your GMAT in order to compensate for the lower GMAT because that is in your control now.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

by kunalmakhija » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:31 am
Hi All,

I aspire to do my MBA from the top colleges in Canada in fall 2015 intake.
Below is my profile:
X - 88%
XII - 82%
Undergrad (Economics Hons) - 68%
GMAT - 640
TOEFL - 97

3 years experience as a consulting analyst in Aon (a multinational Consulting firm).

Various social service certificates obtained.

I donot have the time to appear for any of the exams again as the deadlines are approaching in 20 days.

What are my chances of getting into University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, McGill University, York University or any other good B School in Canada having good placement record after MBA. (Preferably ranked in top 100 in the world).

Would really appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
Kunal Makhija

by GeneralEducation » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:40 am
Hi Kunal,

The undergrad GPA and GMAT are just about at the average mark. However, your experience at AON, and your social service work will go a long way in defining the outcome. It's a bit of a cliche, but the actual outcome does depend on a number of factors. Right now, as you rightly point out, you have just about enough time to get your application in for R2 at these schools.
My advice would be to focus on what you have control over at this moment - shaping the way you present yourself to the admissions committee.

I do think you have a chance at UBC, York, and McGill with well written essays. Rotman could be a bit of a stretch but is worth a shot since it's right up there among the best in Canada. We've had vast experience in getting Indian students to such schools in Canada.

If you do decide to go ahead with application help, my advice would be start soon. You don't have lots of time on hand.
Feel free to contact us and see how we can help.

All the best!
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

by kunalmakhija » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:31 am
Hi Manish,
Thanks for your response. That was really helpful.

Can you help me with the essays and shorlisting of the universities.

How can i contact you?
Can you share your personal email id or contact number so that i am able to approach you.

Regards,
Kunal Makhija

by GeneralEducation » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:44 am
Sure! Please visit https://www.genedmba.com/ and get in touch at [email protected] or +91- 90350 50056.
kunalmakhija wrote:Hi Manish,
Thanks for your response. That was really helpful.

Can you help me with the essays and shorlisting of the universities.

How can i contact you?
Can you share your personal email id or contact number so that i am able to approach you.

Regards,
Kunal Makhija
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:00 pm
If you do not have time to re-take the exam before the deadlines, you might have time to take the exam afterwards and then submit the score to the schools (should your score improve).

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by arrastra » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:47 am
Hi all,

I want to apply to Canadian B schools this term but I have a dismal GMAT experience( took it four times highest 640)
I have 4.3 yrs of work ex with an Indian MNC till April 2014.
Do i have a shot at any B schools now?