Please evaluate my profile - 660 GMAT

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please evaluate my profile - 660 GMAT

by PauloAH » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:21 am
I would greatly appreciate if you could please comment on my profile and give me some insights. I would like to apply to MBA programs for the classes starting in 2015 (2014 application process)

Personal profile: Brazilian Black Male, 25 years
GMAT: 660 (47Q, 34V, 5 AWA)
Academics:
-> Bachelor of Business - Major Brazilian University - 81% Grade Score on classes

Total Work Experience after Graduation: 3 years at application

3 years of work as Analyst in Finance and Strategic in major America Appliance Corp. with over USD 18 Billions in Revenue worldwide

Selected for the company right after college in a Fast Track young leadership (Trainee) hunt program. +15K applicants 21 selected.

> First year worked in the US for LATAM Spanish speaking countries - Worked as Business Analyst for non-core initiatives

> Second and third year working in Brazil - ID&A Analyst for Core Business

Extra-curricular / Outside work activities during College

1. For 2 years member of a Junior Enterprise (JE) consulting company for small business associated with my University and managed by under-graduates, supervised by Professors. Last 6 months as Project Manager supervising 5 members of the JE - No Salary
2. Internship in a Local consulting firm for 1 year carrying consulting projects in Finance and Business introduction.
3. 4 months in Vermont US working in a Ski Resort - Purely cultural experience not related to my major

4. 8 months internship in a major mining company - International Finance division

Career Goals
Intend to work in Strategy Planning in a consumer goods company or Consulting services. 5-7 years later develop a business in Brazil.

My questions are:
1. Competitiveness of my profile and work experience

2. What are my chances at these schools:

Duke, Tuck, Kellogg, Yale, Berkeley, Cornell or Darden

3. Taking GMAT again:
I am very much interested in Harvard, Duke and Tuck. I am aware that my GMAT score is below the average score for these schools.
As of today, I have taken GMAT twice . My scores are
1st Attempt: Jun 2014 - 600 (Q46 V27)
2nd Attempt: Jul 2014 - 660 (Q47 V34)

During practice I am consistently scoring 700+ on Veritas and The Economist GMAT, but I've notice these two sources are not quite hard (especially Veritas). I am using GMAT prep questions now. I am currently studying to try GMAT a third time the goal is 700+.

My main doubt is whether to concentrate in GMAT and let application process for the second round or try a few colleges app now (Is my score competitive competitive? Which MBA programs?)

Tks very much in Advance, Paulo
Last edited by PauloAH on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:17 am
PauloAH wrote:I would greatly appreciate if you could please comment on my profile and give me some insights. I would like to apply to MBA programs for the classes starting in 2015 (2014 application process)

Personal profile: Brazilian Black Male, 25 years
GMAT: 660 (47V, 34Q, 5 AWA)
Academics:
-> Bachelor of Business - Major Brazilian University - 81% Grade Score on classes

Total Work Experience after Graduation: 3 years at application

3 years of work as Analyst in Finance and Strategic in major America Appliance Corp. with over USD 18 Billions in Revenue worldwide

Selected for the company right after college in a Fast Track young leadership (Trainee) hunt program. +15K applicants 21 selected.

> First year worked in the US for LATAM Spanish speaking countries - Worked as Business Analyst for non-core initiatives

> Second and third year working in Brazil - ID&A Analyst for Core Business

Extra-curricular / Outside work activities during College

1. For 2 years member of a Junior Enterprise (JE) consulting company for small business associated with my University and managed by under-graduates, supervised by Professors. Last 6 months as Project Manager supervising 5 members of the JE - No Salary
2. Internship in a Local consulting firm for 1 year carrying consulting projects in Finance and Business introduction.
3. 4 months in Vermont US working in a Ski Resort - Purely cultural experience not related to my major

4. 8 months internship in a major mining company - International Finance division

Career Goals
Intend to work in Strategy Planning in a consumer goods company or Consulting services. 5-7 years later develop a business in Brazil.

My questions are:
1. Competitiveness of my profile and work experience

2. What are my chances at these schools:

Duke, Tuck, Kellogg, Yale, Berkeley, Cornell or Darden

3. Taking GMAT again:
I am very much interested in Harvard, Duke and Tuck. I am aware that my GMAT score is below the average score for these schools.
As of today, I have taken GMAT twice . My scores are
1st Attempt: Jun 2014 - 600 (Q46 V27)
2nd Attempt: Jul 2014 - 660 (Q47 V34)

During practice I am consistently scoring 700+ on Veritas and The Economist GMAT, but I've notice these two sources are not quite hard (especially Veritas). I am using GMAT prep questions now. I am currently studying to try GMAT a third time the goal is 700+.

My main doubt is whether to concentrate in GMAT and let application process for the second round or try a few colleges app now (Is my score competitive competitive? Which MBA programs?)

Tks very much in Advance, Paulo
Hi There Paulo!

You have a very interesting profile and I would advise you to re-take the GMAT to maximise your chances of acceptance. Try the Manhattan series for Quant,followed by 1037 practice questions by The Princeton Review. Once you practice the tough questions, you will sail smoothly through the actual exam, which is easier in comparison.

Perhaps you can target a few reachable schools in R1, which would be achievable. Let me know if you're interested..
Mansie Dewan

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by PauloAH » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:58 am
Tks very much for the reply, Mansie.

I just edited the post, I mistype the score breakdown. It was 47 in Math, not in Verbal. Sorry! My mistake in Quant on the test was mostly time management (had to rush in the last 5 Qs), not content (I suppose).

Regarding your comment about 'reachable B-schools' could you point specific schools? Do you consider any of the aforementioned MBAs reachable at this score level?

Tks

Paulo

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:29 am
PauloAH wrote:Tks very much for the reply, Mansie.

I just edited the post, I mistype the score breakdown. It was 47 in Math, not in Verbal. Sorry! My mistake in Quant on the test was mostly time management (had to rush in the last 5 Qs), not content (I suppose).

Regarding your comment about 'reachable B-schools' could you point specific schools? Do you consider any of the aforementioned MBAs reachable at this score level?

Tks

Paulo
Hi again Paulo,

If you manage to re-take the GMAT and hit the 700 mark before R1 deadlines, you could target Tuck and Darden definitely. With your current GMAT score, you could also look at schools like Kenan Flagler, Tepper, Kelley, Georgetown,Fisher, Foster and Marshall.

Please feel free to reach out in case you have any additional queries.
Mansie Dewan

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:29 pm
PauloAH,

Your GMAT score is below-par for the schools you've mentioned. Ideally, you should wait for the second round, if you can improve your score by then. Having said that, your score is not too off, and test score is just one of the determinants of your candidature. If you want to apply to 1-2 schools in R1, you may consider Cornell and Darden.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis