Making most of the MBA Information Session

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Making most of the MBA Information Session

by Delta2017 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:43 pm
So I have registered for a few information sessions from the MBA schools I am targeting. Just wanted to know if there is something particular I should aim to do at these events. I know the usual networking, speaking to the Adcom members etc but was wondering if there is a strategy to make an impact at such events?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by MBA Decoder » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:10 am
Delta2017 wrote:So I have registered for a few information sessions from the MBA schools I am targeting. Just wanted to know if there is something particular I should aim to do at these events. I know the usual networking, speaking to the Adcom members etc but was wondering if there is a strategy to make an impact at such events?
So beyond making impact, Its a great opportunity to explore your career opportunities - a lot of applicants tend to go wrong with their career goals- talking to alumni and career services representatives will make you more informed.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Dina@Fortuna » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:06 am
Hi Delta2017. Great idea to attend information sessions and any other admissions-related events at the schools you're considering. The more contact you have with each school, the more you get to know the school and you'll be able to detect the nuances between different programs. In terms of making an impact, it's hard for applicants to stand out or be noticed and to be honest, Admissions will be more focused more on presenting program information and answering questions, not on evaluating candidates.

However, you want to make sure you do NOT make a negative impression, as this is more likely to stand out and get you noticed. When I led information sessions and mingled with attendees at these events, sometimes there were applicants who would dominate our time (by trying to ask way too many questions even while other attendees were standing next to them waiting to ask a question) or who interrupted or who made derogatory comments. The advice I have is to be courteous and receptive to learning as much as you can. It's always a good idea to come prepared with a few questions (not questions with answers that can easily be found on the website, though) and hopefully you'll gain some new insights into the program. If there's a current MBA student or alum at the event that's a great opportunity to learn about their experiences as well. I'd suggest you take some notes from the session as these might be useful when it comes time to writing your essays or for your interview. Hope your info sessions turn out to be productive!
Thanks,
Dina
Dina Glasofer | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mishima01 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:25 am
I am applying for my J.D.-MBA for the fall of 2015 and had some questions about the process. I wanted to apply as soon as possible, but some 70-410
schools for round 1 applications have deposit deadlines that are earlier that I would hear back from the law school.