GPREP SC -22

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

GPREP SC -22

by abhasjha » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 am
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to
pursue what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

A. what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

B. what they had not previously considered a possibility -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections like

C. something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

D. something not considered a previous possibility -- better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

E. the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible - better control and possibly eradication of infections like

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sukkhi » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:21 am
abhasjha wrote:The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to
pursue what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

A. what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

B. what they had not previously considered a possibility -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections like

C. something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

D. something not considered a previous possibility -- better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

E. the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible - better control and possibly eradication of infections like
(b)/(e)- killed for use of like (to give examples-"such as" is used)
(d)-"previous possiblity" incorrect as it gives shitty meaning
(a)- generally "what" construction is considered wordy an also it refers to particular thing

bet on (c)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:46 am
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to

A: control of THE other infections
Here, measles and yaws are offered as examples of THE other infections.
What exactly are the other infections?
Since the reader does not know, the use of THE other infections is inappropriate.
Eliminate A.

B and E: infections like measles
like cannot serve to introduce examples.
Eliminate B and E.

In D, possibility and perhaps are redundant.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3