Which colleges good for a working professional in Oil &

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all

I am working as engineer in Oil & Gas company (Top rated in US) in technical department. Though i work on engineering of Rotating equipments of Oil & Gas plants, i use many managerial skills in daily work activities like technical & commercial negotiations with vendors, Coordination with many other departments, project management, leading a team of 2-3 people for a particular project, people management etc.

Now i want to enhance these skills and learn management skills further like decision making, leadership skills and go up in the ladder for a managerial role in a oil & gas sector company. My queries are

1) What are the list of colleges in US, Europe and South Asia that offer MBA in energy management or other related sectors of oil and gas?
2) What chances are good in getting scholarships and assured jobs from these colleges?

Thanks
Sunil Kumar K

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:32 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi all

I am working as engineer in Oil & Gas company (Top rated in US) in technical department. Though i work on engineering of Rotating equipments of Oil & Gas plants, i use many managerial skills in daily work activities like technical & commercial negotiations with vendors, Coordination with many other departments, project management, leading a team of 2-3 people for a particular project, people management etc.

Now i want to enhance these skills and learn management skills further like decision making, leadership skills and go up in the ladder for a managerial role in a oil & gas sector company. My queries are

1) What are the list of colleges in US, Europe and South Asia that offer MBA in energy management or other related sectors of oil and gas?
2) What chances are good in getting scholarships and assured jobs from these colleges?

Thanks
Sunil Kumar K
There are many such colleges which focus on the Enery sector. What's your GMAT score and total amount of work ex. Sunil?
Mansie Dewan

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 am
Hi Sunil,

You can apply to B-school like UC Berkeley Haas, HEC Paris, Rotterdam, Univ of Calgary in Canada, Michigan Ross, Duke Fuqua, Tepper, Vanderbilt University, Smeal, Texas A&M Mays, UT Austin McCombs, Tulane University. Most of the oil&gas and Energy companies recruit students from these campuses. Please share more details about your GMAT score and other profile details to suggest you realistic b-schools based on your profile.

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com
[email protected] wrote:Hi all

Thanks
Sunil Kumar K

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:52 am
Thanks for the reply Mansie

Hi

I gave my GMAT last month and my score is 680. My target score is 720 and I am planning to give another attempt end of September. My Overall experience is 4 yrs as of now. I am working in Fluor Daniel US based MNC main office located at Houston. I assume a slight advantage of gettting admission and scholarship in universities such as Texas A&M, University of calagary etc near to this location.

Is my GMAT score enough to get admission and also scholarships from colleges where MBA offered in energy sector? Shud i give one more attempt to improve my GMAT score?

How much chance of getting a secured job studying from these universities?

Thanks and Regards
Sunil

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:14 pm
Hi Manish

Thanks for providing the list of colleges. My GMAT score is 680 and Planning to give another attempt to cross 700 mark. Working in technical department as a Associate Design Engineer in Fluor Corporation based in Houston. I have an experience of 4 yrs in Oil & Gas sector. My work profile involves engineering, evaluation, financial and technical discussions and negotiations in procurement of machines for a process plant in a particular project. I have dealt with vendors like GE, Siemens, Man Turbo and many other vendors. Internal work flow involves interfacing with other departments, leading a team of 2-3 members in execution of project.

Is my GMAT score enough to get admission and also scholarships from colleges where MBA offered in energy sector? Shud i give one more attempt to improve my GMAT score?

Also suggest some links to guide me to start of with my application procedure.

Thanks and Regards
Sunil

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 am
Hi Sunil,

You have decent profile and GMAT score for the shortlisted schools. The next step for you is to apply in Round 1 for most of the schools, as international applicant you will be considered on priority if you apply early. If you are confident enough of scoring really high (720+ kind of score)then I guess planning to retake GMAT will be a good strategy. However whatever the case you should simultaneously start your preparation for applications along with GMAT preparation so that you don't lose opportunity to apply in round 1. Try Chances of B-School Tool to measure your chances for top b-schools visit https://goo.gl/11s5zu

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com
[email protected] wrote:Hi Manish

Thanks for providing the list of colleges. My GMAT score is 680 and Planning to give another attempt to cross 700 mark. Working in technical department as a Associate Design Engineer in Fluor Corporation based in Houston. I have an experience of 4 yrs in Oil & Gas sector. My work profile involves engineering, evaluation, financial and technical discussions and negotiations in procurement of machines for a process plant in a particular project. I have dealt with vendors like GE, Siemens, Man Turbo and many other vendors. Internal work flow involves interfacing with other departments, leading a team of 2-3 members in execution of project.

Thanks and Regards
Sunil

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:13 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Manish

Thanks and Regards
Sunil
TAMU will be a good bet with your current score. It has decent placements too. Calgary should be safe..for the other schools you should hit closer to the 700 mark.
Mansie Dewan