Profile evaluation - Help ! Do I have an interesting story ?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi (I am very new to this site so please forgive any posting related errors that I have made in this forum)

I need some help from the experts and other members of this forum , before I begin to apply for B schools around the world in Fall 2014 so that I can get matriculated by 2015 . As Marketing and HR appeal to me , I would like to pursue those when I am doing my MBA.

Any suggestions and advices in this direction would be very helpful.

My Profile:

I am a 25 year old Indian citizen currently in India with a work experience of 3.5 years in the IT field. Below are the details:

Work Exp ( at time of posting)

3.5 years of work experience in an IT company (subsidiary of HP ) . I have worked in a Banking project that specifically deals with mortgages and loans for 1.0 years. I then moved onto another project ina different vertical where my team dealt with handling transactions for a manufacturing company. As of now I have completed 2.5 years with the project.

Despite my CGPA I got hired with a salary package that is way above average in my university as the recruiters were more impressed by my leadership and extra curricular skills (detail below) , which are not exactly seen in most Indian engineers.

Education

Electronics engineering from NIT Warangal India (Consistently ranked 1st among all the NITs in India and is considered better than few IITs as well) with a CGPA of 6.3 / 10 .

GMAT
680 (Q 47 V 35)

Extracurricular activities

Quizzing - Appeared on premier Indian TV channel twice in a hotly contested International Inter school quiz contest . I have also Represented my school in many country level quizzing events and won those events as well.

I am into public speaking and debating right from my high school days. This interest in debating led me to participate in Model United nations events (Most famous MUN attended is Georgetown University MUN -Middle East) . This love for MUN took a different turn as I became more interested in running MUNs rather than participating in MUNs as a delegate. I got that opportunity to co-found and manage the first MUN society in my college making our society the first MUN related club in all IITs and NITs in India. MUNs are never usually held in engineering colleges unlike how MUNs are held in Law and Humanities universities. MUNs are not popular among engineering students as the strengths required for participating in MUNs (debating, extensive knowledge of the world and UN, diplomacy etc ) are not considered important to become an engineer. THis is valid as Indian engineering institutions are notorious for producing many graduates who are not well versed in different arts of communication and problem solving. The NIT MUN was a first in that regard among NITs where we could educate engineering students on developing other skills that can enhance their profiles . The event began in its first year as a Intra college event . The second year onwards we scaled up the event to involve students from other colleges around the country. By the time I graduated attendances for the MUN conference grew by more than 100%.

Leadership skills

I was elected the Headboy (Student president) of my school , which had around 10000 students at the time of my graduation. Also I was the first headboy to be elected to that position as earlier the head boy selection was completely under the hands of School administration. As the headboy I was in charge of a student body consisting of 8 secretaries and another 20 prefects . It was the job of my team to maintain discipline and run various school events. I was the face of the students whenever different dignitaries visited my school.

I ran the Model United Nations event and managed it with my colleague. We were able to kickstart an interest in an event that is not considered important in engineering colleges. We handled the collection of funds, getting sponsors and suitably marketing the event through both online and physical media.I handled issues such as red-tapism since government funded universities are infamous for having a lot.

Other details

I was brought up in Qatar , Middle east till the age of 18. In Qatar I was able to learn about people and cultures from different parts of the world. I have good knowledge of different aspects of life and in the Middle East because of this . I was brought up in a land where life was comparatively more ordered and systematic . I was exposed to different global values , trends and ways of business in those years in Qatar. My life was safe and secure in Qatar.

As soon as I graduated school, I went to study in India and I began to learn about things in lfe that were diametrically opposite to what I had seen in Qatar . In India I learned about various issues that human beings encounter. I saw chaos that I haven't seen in my life till then. I encountered corruption, betrayal by best friends, hazing/ragging and many other life defining moments while I studied in NIT Warangal, which is located in an insurgency prone area. I leanred a lot about how things in India work and moves along despite the inherent chaos one sees in the system. I leanred the values of frugality and how to work and live sustainably . THus the two different experiences I had till now taught me many things about life and business that I am applying in my life currently.

In short
Weakness IMO: CGPA
Strength IMO : Leadership experience and my extra curricular skills
So- So IMO : GMAT score

Please help me evaluate my profile and do correct my assumptions about myself.

Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:34 am
vincenm wrote:Hi (I am very new to this site so please forgive any posting related errors that I have made in this forum)

I need some help from the experts and other members of this forum , before I begin to apply for B schools around the world in Fall 2014 so that I can get matriculated by 2015 . As Marketing and HR appeal to me , I would like to pursue those when I am doing my MBA.

My Profile:

I am a 25 year old Indian citizen currently in India with a work experience of 3.5 years in the IT field. Below are the details:

3.5 years of work experience in an IT company (subsidiary of HP ) . I have worked in a Banking project that specifically deals with mortgages and loans for 1.0 years. I then moved onto another project ina different vertical where my team dealt with handling transactions for a manufacturing company. As of now I have completed 2.5 years with the project.

Despite my CGPA I got hired with a salary package that is way above average in my university as the recruiters were more impressed by my leadership and extra curricular skills (detail below) , which are not exactly seen in most Indian engineers.

Education

Electronics engineering from NIT Warangal India (Consistently ranked 1st among all the NITs in India and is considered better than few IITs as well) with a CGPA of 6.3 / 10 .

GMAT
680 (Q 47 V 35)

Quizzing - Appeared on premier Indian TV channel twice in a hotly contested International Inter school quiz contest . I have also Represented my school in many country level quizzing events and won those events as well.

I am into public speaking and debating right from my high school days. This interest in debating led me to participate in Model United nations events (Most famous MUN attended is Georgetown University MUN -Middle East) . This love for MUN took a different turn as I became more interested in running MUNs rather than participating in MUNs as a delegate. I got that opportunity to co-found and manage the first MUN society in my college making our society the first MUN related club in all IITs and NITs in India. MUNs are never usually held in engineering colleges unlike how MUNs are held in Law and Humanities universities. MUNs are not popular among engineering students as the strengths required for participating in MUNs (debating, extensive knowledge of the world and UN, diplomacy etc ) are not considered important to become an engineer. THis is valid as Indian engineering institutions are notorious for producing many graduates who are not well versed in different arts of communication and problem solving. The NIT MUN was a first in that regard among NITs where we could educate engineering students on developing other skills that can enhance their profiles . The event began in its first year as a Intra college event . The second year onwards we scaled up the event to involve students from other colleges around the country. By the time I graduated attendances for the MUN conference grew by more than 100%.

Leadership skills

I was elected the Headboy (Student president) of my school , which had around 10000 students at the time of my graduation. Also I was the first headboy to be elected to that position as earlier the head boy selection was completely under the hands of School administration. As the headboy I was in charge of a student body consisting of 8 secretaries and another 20 prefects . It was the job of my team to maintain discipline and run various school events. I was the face of the students whenever different dignitaries visited my school.

I ran the Model United Nations event and managed it with my colleague. We were able to kickstart an interest in an event that is not considered important in engineering colleges. We handled the collection of funds, getting sponsors and suitably marketing the event through both online and physical media.I handled issues such as red-tapism since government funded universities are infamous for having a lot.

Other details

I was brought up in Qatar , Middle east till the age of 18. In Qatar I was able to learn about people and cultures from different parts of the world. I have good knowledge of different aspects of life and in the Middle East because of this . I was brought up in a land where life was comparatively more ordered and systematic . I was exposed to different global values , trends and ways of business in those years in Qatar. My life was safe and secure in Qatar.

As soon as I graduated school, I went to study in India and I began to learn about things in lfe that were diametrically opposite to what I had seen in Qatar . In India I learned about various issues that human beings encounter. I saw chaos that I haven't seen in my life till then. I encountered corruption, betrayal by best friends, hazing/ragging and many other life defining moments while I studied in NIT Warangal, which is located in an insurgency prone area. I leanred a lot about how things in India work and moves along despite the inherent chaos one sees in the system. I leanred the values of frugality and how to work and live sustainably . THus the two different experiences I had till now taught me many things about life and business that I am applying in my life currently.

In short

Hi!

Thank you for sharing your details. I would like you to tell me a bit more about the work that you do and your interest in Maketing and HR.

Considering your lower than average CGPA, you should seriously consider re-taking the GMAT and aiming at a score of 730-740 plus. Great extracurriculars, but have you had a chance to demonstrate your leadership at your workplace?

As for your question on how interesting your profile is, EVERYONE has a unique and interesting profile. You should just know how to draw out the gems to make for a compelling application. Good Luck and God Bless!
Mansie Dewan

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:35 am
vincenm wrote:Hi (I am very new to this site so please forgive any posting related errors that I have made in this forum)

My Profile:

Education

GMAT
680 (Q 47 V 35)

Leadership skills

Other details

In short

Hi!

Thank you for sharing your details. I would like you to tell me a bit more about the work that you do and your interest in Maketing and HR.

Considering your lower than average CGPA, you should seriously consider re-taking the GMAT and aiming at a score of 730-740 plus. Great extracurriculars, but have you had a chance to demonstrate your leadership at your workplace?

As for your question on how interesting your profile is, EVERYONE has a unique and interesting profile. You should just know how to draw out the gems to make for a compelling application. Good Luck and God Bless!
Mansie Dewan

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:35 am

My Profile:

Education

GMAT
680 (Q 47 V 35)

Leadership skills

Other details

In short

Hi!

Mansie Dewan

by vincenm » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:57 pm
Hi!

Hi Mansie

Thanks for the quick response.

Having just finished the GMAT I haven't developed the reasons for my choice of streams in MBA and also my post_MBA goals.

In my job we handle clients and fellow employees who are based in different parts of the world . I am able to leverage my international exposure in these situations.

Also I am aiming for a BSchools having rankings between 20 and 40 .

Can you suggest Bschools that is within the scope of my profile ?

Thanks again.

VIncenM

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:17 pm
Hi VinceM,

I will be happy to suggest colleges but first please let me know your GMAT score And are you looking at any specialisations or want a more general management curriculum?
Mansie Dewan

by vincenm » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:00 pm
Hi VinceM,

I will be happy to suggest colleges but first please let me know your GMAT score And are you looking at any specialisations or want a more general management curriculum?

Founder & Master Coach at Mansie Dewan Consulting.
Author of "Destination MBA: Showing You How To Get There"

My GMAT score is 680 (Q 47 V 35) .

I haven't given much thought to specializations yet. So advices on General MBA would be appreciated.

Thanks
Vincen

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:56 am
Hi again Vincen,

Coming from the IT background and with a low cgpa, ( I have had clients from NIT Warangal with cgpa in the range of 6 score high on the GMAT to neutralise the less than average UG performance) it would be best if you attempted the GMAT again.

However some schools you could target are:

Indiana Kelley,Washington Foster, University of Minnesota (Carlson), Michigan State( Broad)and Texas Mays.

Please feel free to reach out if you need help with anything else. Good Luck with the MBA journey!
Mansie Dewan

by vincenm » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 am
Hi again Vincen,

Coming from the IT background and with a low cgpa, ( I have had clients from NIT Warangal with cgpa in the range of 6 score high on the GMAT to neutralise the less than average UG performance) it would be best if you attempted the GMAT again.

However some schools you could target are:

Indiana Kelley,Washington Foster, University of Minnesota (Carlson), Michigan State( Broad)and Texas Mays.

Please feel free to reach out if you need help with anything else. Good Luck with the MBA journey!

Founder & Master Coach at Mansie Dewan Consulting.
Bestseller Author of :"Destination MBA: Showing You How To Get There"

https://www.mansiedewan.com
WOW! Your suggestions for target schools are perfect. Those 5 are already in my list of target schools. Impressive !

Thanks for the advice.

BR
Vincen

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:05 am
Good Luck with the applications!
Mansie Dewan

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:54 pm
Vincen,

First, you've awesome extracurricular activities, atleast in your undergraduate program. I'm not sure if you could grab similar opportunities during your professional career.

Second, here is my take on GPA/ GMAT. Your GPA at 6.3/ 10 is definitely on the lower side, but the question is can you show it in a better light. I faced a similar situation, though my GPA and GMAT were slightly better. I can clearly see that you were not whiling away time at NIT Warangal: you did fair share of work outside academics, and adcoms understand that. So, in optional essays, show that you were busy with MUN and other things, which helped you develop skills which were beneficial to you when you entered the job market. And there can not be a better testimony to this than you getting an above-par compensation package during placements at NIT. Moreover, GMAT score tends to get higher weight than GPA because it is more recent in time, and it is much easier to compare GMAT scores (than GPAs) of different applicants who may have attended universities in different corners of the world, with completely different evaluation criteria. And your GMAT score is just about there, seeing the schools that you are targeting.

I think you should focus on your application now, and try to bring out aspects of your professional/ personal life that will stand out.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis