Scores: 660, 690...need 720. Quant is still weak, help!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
My job is incredibly busy (I know I'm likely preaching to the choir) and has afforded me very little time to prepare for my first two attempts at the GMAT. I took the MGMAT self-study course (but didn't finish the last two of nine classes) prior to my first test and scored a 660 (41V, 40Q, 8IR, 5.5AWA). Other than my depressingly low 52nd percentile in Quant, all of my scores were in the 90th+ percentile (well, the AWA was 80ish). Due to some work demands, I had to schedule the second test for 32 days after the first instead of waiting a bit longer. I focused my prep almost solely on Quant and got a 690 with a 22 percentile point increase in quant, but the rest of my test suffered greatly (37V, 48Q, 6IR, 4.5AWA).

I've checked out a few different study guides and methods, but I feel like I'm just reviewing basics that I already know (what a data sufficiency question is, how to take notes during CR, etc.). Does anyone know of an effective way to do, for lack of a better term, "advanced studying"? I'm already lacking motivation as it is, so wasting time reading about question types isn't appealing. I definitely don't think it's ability holding me back (probably what everyone thinks though); I just want to combine the good from the first two test and add a little extra on top to get my target 720 score (or better, of course). Any help y'all can give me would be awesome.

Thanks,
Mike

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:11 am
Hi Mike,

First of all, great work on the 8-point Quant increase. If your Verbal had remained at 41, your total score would have been 720. Unfortunately, the Verbal section was your undoing this time. This is not uncommon. Sometimes a ridiculously long and difficult RC passage can knock you off your game - might this be your case?

Given your scores, I don't think you need to go back and review every concept. Instead, it's just a matter of fine-tuning your skills. To achieve this, I suggest that you begin taking regular (FULL-LENGTH) practice tests to identify any remaining area(s) of weakness.

After each test, CAREFULLY analyze the result. While doing so, there are four main types of weakness to watch out for:
1. specific Quant skills/concepts (e.g., algebra, standard deviation, etc.)
2. specific Verbal skills/concepts (e.g., verb tenses, assumption CR questions, etc.)
3. test-taking skills (time management, endurance, anxiety, etc.)
4. silly mistakes

For the first two weaknesses, the fix is pretty straightforward. Learn the concept/skill and find some practice questions to strengthen that weakness. To focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature to isolate one concept. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

If your test-taking skills are holding you back, then you need to work on these. For example, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244.

Finally, if silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and CATEGORIZE these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:49 pm
Hi Mike,

A 690/Q48 is a great combo, so you might not necessarily need to retest. While everyone "wants" a 700, Business Schools are savvy enough to know that someone who scored below 700 might still be an amazing applicant (which is why the application consists of so many pieces). In that same way, scoring above a 700 is not a guarantee of anything.

What schools are you planning to apply to? And when?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by mst243 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:12 am
Well, I'm applying to HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, and Duke in the second round. My work experience is pretty unique and will definitely help, but for those schools I've been advised by several alumni that a 720 on the GMAT will make a huge difference in my competitiveness. They say a 690 may be sufficient, but if I think I can get to the 720 mark (which I do), I should take it again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:23 pm
Hi mst243,

In your original post, you mentioned how busy your job is and that you really weren't able to get in as much studying as you would have liked (or perhaps needed). As it stands, you might not have gotten enough "exposure" to practice materials (either enough materials or the ones you really "need").

Top Test Takers tend to be strong pattern-matchers, meaning that when they see a GMAT question, they're capable of spotting patterns in the question AND how the question relates to work that they've already done. With your scores, you're clearly a strong thinker, so that's not the issue. At that scoring level though, the little things matter - silly mistakes, slightly disorganized work, lack of familiarity with certain concepts, etc. cost Test Takers points.

When are you thinking of retaking the GMAT?
How much time would you be able to commit to studying (each week)?

Rich

by mst243 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:08 am
Right now I'm trying hard to get in 2 hours a day (and at the moment I'm working weekends just as hard as weekdays, so no extra study time there). I'm planning to take the GMAT on November 17th (which is after about 5 days I'll have off from work to study), so I have some time, but I think you're right, I only felt the "ah, I've seen this type of question before" feeling a couple times during the actual test. Any tips other than just crushing the OG and other question banks to gain that pattern-matching ability? I found the Kaplan GMAT 800 book extremely helpful in my quant increase between my first two tests, so I think that will be my primary focus for studying followed closely by the OG.

I really appreciate all of this feedback; I definitely didn't expect to get this much. Thanks everyone.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 am
Hi mst243,

The various GMAC/OG materials are a logical place to start (since all of those questions have appeared on the GMAT before). With a November Test Day, you have plenty of time to immerse yourself in the material - doing a little every day should help build your overall "library" knowledge. There are online options too, if you're looking to do more.

Rich