Profile Evaluation Request: Top 20 B-Schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I am looking for clarity about how I should go about my B-school applications, and wanted expert opinions on my profile before I proceed.

Indian Male
Background:
- Indian engineering graduate: B.E (Electronics & Communication Engg) from NSIT, Delhi : 67% / 100 (Didn't have GPA/percentile system)
- CBSE Class XII: 93%
- CBSE Class X: 84%

GMAT Score: 700 (V 35, Q49)

Work Profile:
- Analyst with McKinsey & Company's Private Equity/ Principal Investors (PE/PI) Practice since June, 2011
-- 10+ private equity and M&A commercial due diligence engagements) across sectors such as high technology, healthcare, retail, auto, IT services etc.
-- Involved in pre-diligence, target scan, market assessment and portfolio strategy and operations engagements across Industrials, High Tech, Financial Services
-- Contributed to and led several CSR initiatives such as blood donation camps (2011,2012,2013) and mobilizing center-wide participation for half-marathons

- 2-month internship with Maruti Suzuki India : 2010
-- Executed time motion study analyzing the efficiency of 2 assembly lines relative to benchmarks

Academic Achievements:
- Merit Scholarship for Academic Performance from NSIT for the year 2007-08
- School Topper in the CBSE Class XII Board Exam
- Awarded Merit Certificate in the National Mathematics Olympiad 2004 and 2005

Positions of Responsibility (College)
- Placement Coordinator, Placement Committee
- President, Quiz Club
- Founding Member, Consulting Club
- Vice-Chairman, IEEE chapter
- Founding member, Movie and documentary society
- Member, Neighborhood Project

Extra-curricular achievements:
- National finalist on numerous quizzes
- Won over 30 quizzes in inter-college competitions between 2007 and 2011.
- Quizmaster, several inter-school quizzes in Delhi
- Awarded the Best All Rounder trophy in Class XI (2005-06)
- Wrote a term paper on '70s Music in the UK
- Other hobbies include listening to music and running

Post-MBA goal: Private Equity / Consulting

Specific questions around my profile are:
- What are my chances in the Top-20 B-schools with my existing profile for this year's applications?
- By how much can my chances improve if 1) I get a GMAT score of 750+ and/or 2)add another a year of work experience to my profile (i.e. apply next year)?
- I have done limited research so far in terms of my application strategy, selecting my target schools, and retaking the GMAT (I would really like to, ideally). Do I still have time to nail my apps in Round 1?

Any other guidance would be more than appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:35 am
Hi,

You have decent profile for the top 20 B-schools, I think you should apply this year itself and target minimum 5 schools to increase your chances. You have consistent academics and good GMAT along with good work experience (McKinsey brand name might help)so next step for you is to focus on your applications and build stellar application. You should go ahead and apply this year unless you are confident that you can increase GMAT by 750+ You can also try Chances of B-School Tool by clicking here https://goo.gl/11s5zu

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:02 pm
infromaniac wrote:Hi,
I am looking for clarity about how I should go about my B-school applications, and wanted expert opinions on my profile before I proceed.

Indian Male
Background:
- Indian engineering graduate: B.E (Electronics & Communication Engg) from NSIT, Delhi : 67% / 100 (Didn't have GPA/percentile system)
- CBSE Class XII: 93%
- CBSE Class X: 84%

GMAT Score: 700 (V 35, Q49)

Work Profile:
- Analyst with McKinsey & Company's Private Equity/ Principal Investors (PE/PI) Practice since June, 2011
-- 10+ private equity and M&A commercial due diligence engagements) across sectors such as high technology, healthcare, retail, auto, IT services etc.
-- Involved in pre-diligence, target scan, market assessment and portfolio strategy and operations engagements across Industrials, High Tech, Financial Services
-- Contributed to and led several CSR initiatives such as blood donation camps (2011,2012,2013) and mobilizing center-wide participation for half-marathons

- 2-month internship with Maruti Suzuki India : 2010
-- Executed time motion study analyzing the efficiency of 2 assembly lines relative to benchmarks

Academic Achievements:
- Merit Scholarship for Academic Performance from NSIT for the year 2007-08
- School Topper in the CBSE Class XII Board Exam
- Awarded Merit Certificate in the National Mathematics Olympiad 2004 and 2005

Positions of Responsibility (College)
- Placement Coordinator, Placement Committee
- President, Quiz Club
- Founding Member, Consulting Club
- Vice-Chairman, IEEE chapter
- Founding member, Movie and documentary society
- Member, Neighborhood Project

Extra-curricular achievements:
- National finalist on numerous quizzes
- Won over 30 quizzes in inter-college competitions between 2007 and 2011.
- Quizmaster, several inter-school quizzes in Delhi
- Awarded the Best All Rounder trophy in Class XI (2005-06)
- Wrote a term paper on '70s Music in the UK
- Other hobbies include listening to music and running

Post-MBA goal: Private Equity / Consulting

Specific questions around my profile are:
- What are my chances in the Top-20 B-schools with my existing profile for this year's applications?
- By how much can my chances improve if 1) I get a GMAT score of 750+ and/or 2)add another a year of work experience to my profile (i.e. apply next year)?
- I have done limited research so far in terms of my application strategy, selecting my target schools, and retaking the GMAT (I would really like to, ideally). Do I still have time to nail my apps in Round 1?

Any other guidance would be more than appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Allrighty then,
Well first of all, I think you'll have a shot at Top 20. You didn't graduate from an IIT, your grades aren't high, and your GMAT is good without being great, buuuuuut you do work for McKinsey (you lucky dog, you...!). Top five schools will be tougher of course, but the rest, with a great application should be within range.

Actually my question to you, is besides your employer: what makes you unique??? A lot of the extra curriculars you mention are pretty standard sounding stuff, and if I were you I would dig for something that would make you STAND OUT.

With a 750, your chances would of course be increased, as would your potential of getting a decent scholarship. Whether you want to wait another year or not is up to you though.

Finally, Round 1, if you start TODAY you can make maybe three schools for round one, and then the rest will have to be Round 2.

Hope this helps!
Best,
JF

PS: Have a look at this Q and A I did about Indians getting into Top 10 schools. You might find it interesting: https://admissionado.com/mba/resources/t ... b-schools/
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.