GPREP 3 - CR -3

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:29 am
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal; consequently, patients with symptoms strongly suggesting appendicitis almost have their appendix removed. The appropriate surgery is low-risk but performed unnecessarily in about 20 percent of all cases. A newly developed internal scan for appendicitis is highly accurate, producing two misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses. Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before, since _______.

A. the patients who are correctly diagnosed with this test as not having appendicitis invariably have medical conditions that are much less serious than appendicitis
B. the misdiagnoses produced by this test are always instances of attributing appendicitis to someone who does not, in fact, have it
C. all of the patients who are diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis do, in fact,
have appendicitis
D. every patient who is diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis has more than one of the symptoms generally associated with appendicitis
E. the only patients who are misdiagnosed using this test are patients who lack one or more of the symptoms that are generally associated with appendicitis
Premise: The new scan produces two misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses.
Conclusion: If doctors use the new scan, they will not be performing any fewer necessary surgeries than before.

Conclusion, rephrased:
If doctors use the new scan, they will still be performing the same number of NECESSARY surgeries.

For the conclusion to be valid, what must be true?
It must be true that the new scan will NOT weed out any patients for whom surgery is NECESSARY.
B: The misdiagnoses produced by this test are always instances of attributing appendicitis to someone who does not, in fact, have it.
Since the misdiagnoses are not attributed to patients who are actually ill, the new scan will not weed out patients for whom surgery is necessary, strengthening the conclusion that doctors will still be performing the same number of necessary surgeries.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:57 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal; consequently, patients with symptoms strongly suggesting appendicitis almost have their appendix removed. The appropriate surgery is low-risk but performed unnecessarily in about 20 percent of all cases. A newly developed internal scan for appendicitis is highly accurate, producing two misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses. Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before, since _______.

A. the patients who are correctly diagnosed with this test as not having appendicitis invariably have medical conditions that are much less serious than appendicitis
B. the misdiagnoses produced by this test are always instances of attributing appendicitis to someone who does not, in fact, have it
C. all of the patients who are diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis do, in fact,
have appendicitis
D. every patient who is diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis has more than one of the symptoms generally associated with appendicitis
E. the only patients who are misdiagnosed using this test are patients who lack one or more of the symptoms that are generally associated with appendicitis
Premise: The new scan produces two misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses.
Conclusion: If doctors use the new scan, they will not be performing any fewer necessary surgeries than before.

Conclusion, rephrased:
If doctors use the new scan, they will still be performing the same number of NECESSARY surgeries.

For the conclusion to be valid, what must be true?
It must be true that the new scan will NOT weed out any patients for whom surgery is NECESSARY.
B: The misdiagnoses produced by this test are always instances of attributing appendicitis to someone who does not, in fact, have it.
Since the misdiagnoses are not attributed to patients who are actually ill, the new scan will not weed out patients for whom surgery is necessary, strengthening the conclusion that doctors will still be performing the same number of necessary surgeries.

The correct answer is B.
Dear Mitch,

Does the OA in this question considered a 'strengthener' or 'must be true'? In your answer above you mentioned both which as highlighted.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:05 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,

Does the OA in this question considered a 'strengthener' or 'must be true'? In your answer above you mentioned both.
When a CR ends with since + BLANK, the correct answer will be a statement that STRENGTHENS the conclusion.
Here, the OA seems to be not only a strengthener but also a statement that must be true, since -- if the OA is not true, if the test fails to identify people who have appendicitis -- then the argument cannot conclude that doctors can use the test without performing any fewer necessary surgeries.
Generally, however, the OA for this type of CR will be not a must-be-true statement but simply an additional premise that supports the conclusion.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3