GMAT Best books : ticks to beat the GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Best books : ticks to beat the GMAT

by houd » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:08 am
Hi Experts,

I've started preparing for the GMAT using the Official guide 13th edition (+ verbal and Math review).
I'm also using the GMATprepnow video's, that are really helpful with ticks, elimination strategies and so on...
As you may know, the answers in the official guide are not helpful, complicated, and based on algebric methods in some questions where common sens and logic may answer the question quickly.

I'm looking for a helpful books with ticks and quick way to answer the GMAT questions. Do you know any helpful books please? (i spend already 2months working on those unhelpful books; help please!)

Thank you for your help,
Houda

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:09 am
houd wrote:Hi Experts,

I've started preparing for the GMAT using the Official guide 13th edition (+ verbal and Math review).
I'm also using the GMATprepnow video's, that are really helpful with ticks, elimination strategies and so on...
As you may know, the answers in the official guide are not helpful, complicated, and based on algebric methods in some questions where common sens and logic may answer the question quickly.

I'm looking for a helpful books with ticks and quick way to answer the GMAT questions. Do you know any helpful books please? (i spend already 2months working on those unhelpful books; help please!)

Thank you for your help,
Houda
1) Official Guiding is the Guiding source of material so I suggest that don't ignore that in search of some other source of material.

2) GMAT Quant doesn't require too many shortcuts and Quick strategies so usually students are suggested to learn the traditional methods and develop their own shortcut methods.

3) In some cases you might find some really impressive methods of solving questions and Beat the GMAT is the best place to find them. Just keep posting the questions. :)

Remember there can be many ways of solving any question but you need only one to strike your mind while taking test.

All the best!!!
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:17 am
Hi Houda,

I'll echo what Bhoopendra said about using the BTG site, and add that you can use BTG's tagging feature to isolate one concept at a time.
For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by houd » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:38 am
Thank you for your replies...i'm not saying that i will ignore the OG 13th but, i need additional books, for strategies, short cuts etc... For the Math section! some short cuts help you to find the answer in 30secondes so we need to know and practice them...
Ohhh yes! beat the GMAT is very helpful, but reading thousands pots may be time consuming... :(((

Thank you in advance for other suggestions!

by houd » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:38 am
Thank you for your replies...i'm not saying that i will ignore the OG 13th but, i need additional books, for strategies, short cuts etc... For the Math section! some short cuts help you to find the answer in 30secondes so we need to know and practice them...
Ohhh yes! beat the GMAT is very helpful, but reading thousands pots may be time consuming... :(((

Thank you in advance for other suggestions!

by aghhicgmat » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:50 am
Hello Houd,
It seems that we are following the same GMAT preparation journey (60 days study guide) and that we're both seeking for the same answer.
I've actually posted a request identical to yours few days ago in this forum but unfortunately didn't get a satisfying response.
I completely agree with you. GMATprep videos are EXCELLENT! But Answers in the OG13 and OG Math review are not adapted to someone who's aiming to beat the GMAT(more than 700).
I have done some internet researches and found the following book => The Official Guide Companion, 13th ed. of Manhattan (https://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... itemID=674).
This book has to be used in conjunction with the OG13. But, I'm not sure of its usefulness....
So Experts, Houd and I are looking forward to receive your advices :
Is the offical guide companion book useful. Otherwise please indicate us any other useful resource.
Thanks in advance for allowing us to save VALUABLE time in our preparation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:55 am
Hi houd,

Many of the explanations in the OG13 ARE really long and complex, so your instinct to seek out faster methods is a good one. Almost all of the questions in the Quant section can be solved with more than one approach. In many cases, the "math" approach takes the longest, so knowing other tactics can make a big difference in your pacing and scoring.

One of the limitations with "book-only" study is that a book can only show you show much. You might find more of what you're looking for if you invest in an online self-study Course. In addition to the tactics, strategies, etc. that you're looking for, you'd have access to lessons, additional practice content, videos, etc.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]