Profile Evaluation Request Indian male IT 740

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello All,

Would appreciate an honest feedback on my chances for a top MBA program and what all I need to do to increase those chances.

Male Indian Engineering graduate from NIT(formerly REC) with equivalent GPA 3.42

GMAT Score : 740(Q-50,V-40,IR-5)

Work Background:
Working in R&D for a top MNC in India. Joined straight out of college and been with them for 2 years now.

In starting of second year itself, was given the additional responsibility to mentor new employees by the Development Manager. Have successfully mentored 4 employees till now.

Provided the maximum number of domain trainings in the year in the whole group and received appreciation by Dev Manager and Project Lead for the same.

Have been made a Great Work Place Agent(youngest member in the 1800 strong organization to be assigned the title). The responsibilities include bridging the communication gap between my team of 225 and the higher management, organizing monthly team events(for 225 strong team) inside office premises, raising employees concerns at proper platforms and thus enhancing the quality of the work environment of the organization.

Have had two yearly promotions with rating in top 20% .

Volunteer for organization's CSR initiative to teach the underprivileged children.

Successfully completed a 4-week online course in Risk Management with distinction(above 80%).

Extracurricular Activities in College :
1)Placement Coordinator of the undergrad institute - Managed all placement related activities right from contacting HR managers of organizations through mails/phone to coordinating with the visiting team for smooth conduction of the process on the day of campus visit.

2)Committee Head of Annual Cultural Fest - Lead a team of 29 people as the head of the committee involved in organizing of the 3 day fest.

3)One of the chief organizers of the week-long HINDI fest in college. Was extensively involved in almost all aspects of event organization and management,be it, interviewing/selecting volunteers, arranging welcome fomalities for guests, backroom management, coordinating with professor incharge for permissions,funds etc, internal and external publicity. We were a team of 8 individuals working together with around 60 odd volunteers.

4)Organized two successful clothes collection drive and one waste paper collection drive while at college. The clothes collected were sent to GOONJ, an NGO based in Delhi.

5)Topped an aptitude test organized during Techfest in college and also won 2 online riddle events. Subsequently became the event coordinator for the online riddle event during next year's fest.

Post-MBA Goals:
1. Short-term : IB/Consulting (I have a strong inclination towards Finance)
2. Long-term : Entrepreneurship (Social entrepreneurship)

Target Schools: ISB, Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg, Booth and unrealistically HBS & Stanford

Are my targets realistic? Please provide your valuable comments.

Thanks and Regards,
Tanuj

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:25 pm
Hey there,

Thanks so much for posting and I'm terribly sorry for the delay. Was traveling on CS business and my inbox got a bit away from me. But now I'm back so let's get into things!

Academics

Solid. Not much else to say here. Awesome GMAT, strong GPA, great school. You're covered.

Professional Experience

It seems you're off to a great start here and your promotions and rankings are a testament to that. However, you're still young. And in engineering. The problem with those two is that you don't really get the impact and scope that raise eyebrows for another year or so. You clearly outperform the majority of your peer set but some things are just earned in time when it comes to Engineering careers.

Involvement

Almost the same as the above - you're off to a great start and it's well rounded. Some social, some development, some training. The CSR activities, while good, aren't going to really set you apart, however.

Goals & Schools

Ok, this is where I'm going to be a bit harsh so fair warning. Your short term goals make very little logical sense. Does that mean you shouldn't try for banking when you get to bschool? Nope - go for it and good luck! But I'm raising an issue with it for the same reason an adcom would. You have ZERO financial background. If I was a banking recruiter, I would seriously wonder why I should interview you, much less hire you. Consulting is a bit better but you have to focus here. You're R&D and an engineer. You can't say you want to go Marketing Strategy. That won't fly. Remember - ambitious AND realistic!

As for schools, you've only targeted the M7 + ISB. That's a super aggressive list. Should you apply to some of them? Yes, absolutely. But diversify and go further down in the rankings a bit. Think across the top 20.

However, if you're thinking about applying to a few schools this year and are ok with not getting in but would then reapply next year, then pick some aggressive programs and stick with it. Diversify next year. But otherwise either diversify, wait a year, or both.

I hope that helps. Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!