690 GMAT, High Verbal Low Quant!! RETAKE?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

690 GMAT, High Verbal Low Quant!! RETAKE?

by nataras » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:03 pm
Hi everyone, I have taken the GMAT 4 times now and am at a 690 (42 Quant, 42 Verbal). I was scoring 700-710 on my last 3 practice tests (MBA.com tests), with my Quant as high as 47, but I'm not sure what happened on my official test day. I am fairly confident that I can get a 700 with a higher Quant score.

I went to a large public university in the Southeast and graduated in Accounting with a 3.67. I also obtained my Master's in Accounting with a 3.6 and am a CPA and a CFE. I have 3 years of experience at a Big 4 accounting firm in the Advisory group and am currently working in Internal Audit for a Fortune 10 corporation. I have solid, but not strong, extracurriculars and am an Indian-American female. I think the CPA demonstrates the quant skills that are missed in my GMAT, so I'm not sure if I need to retake or not. I also made Bs and above in all of my quant-related classes: Economics, Accounting, Finance, and Statistics.

My plan is to apply to my top choices in Round 1: Kellogg, Columbia, Booth, Wharton, Berkeley, MIT. Round 2 was going to be used for my 2nd choices: NYU, Duke, Emory.

Any advice as to whether I should re-take the GMAT and as to my chances at these schools with my current score or with a potential 700-710 (Quant max would probably be 47) would be greatly appreciated! Also, please advise as to whether these other aspects of my profile can mitigate a low Quant score!

Thanks!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:39 pm
Hi Nataras,

Thank you for your post!

To clarify, have you only taken the GMAT once officially? And the "four times" refers to three practice tests and one official test?

If the answers are yes, then I would recommend taking the GMAT one more time. While 690 is within range of your target programs, the adcom likes to see scores of at least 80% in each section to assure them that you could handle the rigorous coursework. A 700+ total, as well as an 80%+ in the Math section, would certainly make you more competitive, particularly for your Round 1 choices.

You really should not take the GMAT more than twice (any high score after that point will not carry the same credibility). If you take the GMAT again and do not break the 700 mark or improve your Math score, then you can point to your academic and professional history to quiet any concerns they may have about your abilities based on your GMAT score.

That said, if you have taken the GMAT officially four times, you will need to explain your quantitative skills in an optional essay and you should not take it a fifth time.

If you'd like more help with your applications, please contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nataras » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 pm
Hi Eliot,

Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately, I have taken the test 4 times officially. Would you say this score is a pretty big application killer for say a Kellogg, MIT, Columbia, or Haas? Also, would the GRE be of any use at this point? Or would it make sense for me take the GMAT once more and hope to apply in Round 2? Any further suggestions would be much appreciated!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:51 am
Hi nataras,

I do not recommend taking the GMAT or GRE again; given that you've already taken the GMAT four times, the adcoms will not put much credence in a high score at this point. Many schools report GMAT stats for incoming classes in terms of total scores, so you technically fall within range of the programs you list. The risk will be your low quantitative score. You will need to write an optional essay to highlight your quantitative successes and assure the adcom that you could handle the rigorous coursework; perhaps the reasoning is as simple as struggling with standardized tests.

I also would caution you against applying in Round 2. This is generally a more competitive round due to the increase in application volume. Of course, you will want to ensure that you are submitting your best possible apps in the first round.

I hope this helps and if you'd like more help with your applications, please contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.