GMAT Retake

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMAT Retake

by qwerty12321 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:06 pm
Hi

I just gave the GMAT yesterday and my score dropped from 680 to 650.

Should I give the GMAT again in a month's time or should I wait and give it in May-June next year?

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:02 am
qwerty12321 wrote:Hi

I just gave the GMAT yesterday and my score dropped from 680 to 650.

Should I give the GMAT again in a month's time or should I wait and give it in May-June next year?

Thanks
Hi Qwerty12321,

You should identify the answers to the following questions before you take this decision

1) What are the score you were getting in Practice Full Length CATs before Taking GMAT this time? and which CATs were you taking i.e. Manhattan, Kaplan etc.
2) What reason has led you to get even lower score than the previous score
3) What is it that you can improve in one month that can boost your score to the desired GMAT score from the current level

If you can answer the above questions, then perhaps I can come up with an appropriate suggestion of next course of action.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

by qwerty12321 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:50 am
Hi GMATinsight

Before the GMAT I was scored a 670,650,680 in MGMAT tests and 740,740 in GMATPrep 1 and 2.

I scored less in verbal, even lesser than my previous GMAT score.

Can you suggest me what to do?

Thanks
:)

Legendary Member

by GMATinsight » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:41 am
qwerty12321 wrote:Hi GMATinsight

Before the GMAT I was scored a 670,650,680 in MGMAT tests and 740,740 in GMATPrep 1 and 2.

I scored less in verbal, even lesser than my previous GMAT score.

Can you suggest me what to do?

Thanks
:)
Your scores raise another question. Have you felt that the questions that you solved while attempting GMAT prep had repeat questions? Because there is substantial difference between 740 and you score 650 which is certainly not a usual phenomenon

Generally students get their scores finally within +20 to -20 from GMAT prep tests but if the change has been caused by any temporary factor then I believe that you must take the test again after a month's time because if you postpone if further then you will have to start the preparation as a beginner afresh and your entire efforts for learning GMAT concept might go futile.

It's best to identify the reason that led your score down by such a huge margin and work on them.

Verbal requires the understanding of basics which if not cleared then students keep repeating the same mistakes. So you should take some help with some expert who can guide you better about what is the mistake in your learnt methods to solve questions.
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

by qwerty12321 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:14 pm
Hi GMATinsight

I don't know what happened to me on the test day.
I have one query.
Should I recheck my answers in the GMAT?

Thanks

Legendary Member

by GMATinsight » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:20 pm
qwerty12321 wrote:Hi GMATinsight

I don't know what happened to me on the test day.
I have one query.
Should I recheck my answers in the GMAT?

Thanks
It's difficult to convince but let me share with you that when I take any test most of my brains keep working on the current problem and some of it keeps rechecking the part recently solved. In this way I keep rechecking the previous part.

This is very Intuitive but it happens primarily because I know what mistake do I generally make.

I would suggest that if you can check your work intuitively then it would be good but rechecking after having done working first isn't a very good idea.

Practice Enough that you can develop such intuition and sense your mistake if you have made some.