GMAT Retake Strategy (Low Quant!)

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT Retake Strategy (Low Quant!)

by nataras » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:36 pm
Hi everyone,

I have now taken the GMAT 4 times in the past year and my total score has only gone from 660 to 690. My Quant has been moving between 39 and 43 and my Verbal has steadily increased up to a 42. My last test was a few days ago and that's when I got the 690 (Q 42, V42). The confusing part of this is that I had been scoring in the 700-710 range during my last few GMAT Prep exams. I took these as full length exams and was getting in the 44-47 range in Quant, which is ideally what I would like, and I'm not sure why my Quant went down on the actual test. My total score goal is a 700+, but I really need my Quant to get a bit higher so it's not an application killer (I am looking at Top 15 schools). On my last study attempt, I signed up for the Knewton GMAT course and completed it. I believe Knewton really helped me to improve my Quant knowledge, as evidenced in my practice tests. However, now I am uncertain as to what to do to improve my score? Is it possible that it was a case of nerves that caused my score to drop? I had a very tiring week prior to the exam. Or is it a lack of taking practice tests early in the morning, which is when my GMAT appointment was? Either way, I know that I can score at least a 700, with a more decent Quant score, but I'm unsure as to what the next step is in my study plan. I have used Manhattan GMAT books in the past and even tried their tutoring, which wasn't very helpful ultimately. My new plan is to use the Manhattan GMAT practice exams to evaluate my strengths and weaknesses and then use their guides as needed, while practicing with the OG. I am scheduled to re-take the test in a month. Does anyone have any other study tips or ideas that I can use? Or can someone comment on my go-forward plan? The Quant is apparently killing me! As a last tidbit, I took a Manhattan practice exam this morning (just the Quant portion) and was back down to a 41....Please help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:22 pm
Hi nataras,

You've provided a lot of information, which is good. Now you need some perspective on all of it.

First off, a 690/Q42 is really strong score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall) and it will allow you to apply to any US Business School. While a higher Quant Scaled Score would help your overall application, this current score will NOT be an application killer.

GMAC has stated that the Official GMAT will give you a score that is within +-29 points of actual ability, so your 690 is "in range" of your practice CATs, albeit at the lower end of the range). The more realistic and Test-like that you can make your practice CATs, the more accurate they become. You've admitted that your actual GMAT was taken much earlier in the day than your practice CATs were, so you've found something significant about Test Day that DID NOT line up with your practice. This is a "variable" that you should be able to fix.

You mentioned that you've taken the Official GMAT 4 times in the past year. GMAC limits the number of times that you can take the GMAT in a rolling year to 5 total attempts. After this next GMAT, you will be "locked out" (until you hit the 1 year mark from your 1st score), so you need to prepared as you can be before you take this next Test.

"Your way" of doing things seems to have you scoring consistently in the high 600s (at least on the Official Tests). Continuing in this way will likely yield the same result on this next GMAT....unless you make some significant changes to how you "see" the Quant section of the GMAT. How well do you normally perform on DS questions? Do you have a pacing problem in the Quant section (do you have to guess on questions at the end of the section just to finish them all on time)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nataras » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:14 pm
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the response. I am currently doing equally well (or poorly) on DS vs PS questions. I have worked on my pacing and tend to guess throughout the entire test, when I notice I am behind. Timing is no longer a serious issue for me. What is your advice on how I should study going forward? I see that what I have been doing is not working, but am unsure as to how to proceed.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:49 pm
HI nataras,

I've sent you a private message with some suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]