Expecting 670-700

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Expecting 670-700

by haiuday » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:48 pm
Dear All,
I've scheduled my GMAT to be taken on 27th of this month. Please find my scores in mock exams.
GMAT1 - 540( ran out of time while solving quanta. Couldn't attend last 5 questions)
GMAT2 - 610
GMAT1(retake) - 650 ( a few questions were repeated)
MGMAT1 - 530 - (here again..couldn't finish quanta questions on time)
MGMAT2 - 580

In all the above exams, i've consistently got 28-32 in verbal.
I'm looking for a score in between 670 & 700.
considering that I only have 4 more days for the main exam,can you please advise on improving my score by 50-70 points??

Anything that I can concentrate on in the next 4 days to improve my score?? Please advice. Thanks in Advance.

please find some more inputs

in every exam , i got around 8 DS questions incorrect & 8-11 Problem solving questions incorrect.
I'm confident in SC and CR. Most of mistakes that I did in CR and SC were because either bcoz of carelessness or impatience. I'm working on it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:24 am
Your practice test scores suggest that your skills are in the mid to high 500's, so increasing your score to 670-700 is not very realistic.

I typically suggest that students achieve their target score on at least 2 practices tests before they take the official test. However, since you've already passed the 1-week cutoff for rescheduling your test, you have no choice but to take it.

So, what do you do now?

It sounds time management and careless mistakes are the two main issues that you've identified. So, I'd work on those by taking more practice tests. Before doing so, however, you might want to check out our free time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Also, you may benefit from some tips on how to minimize careless errors: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by haiuday » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:22 pm
Thanks for the links, Brent. I'll do my best.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 am
Let us know how the test went.

All the best,
Brent

by haiuday » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:19 pm
You were right, Brent. It was a disaster. I scored 550(q35,v31) today...very bad in Quanta..Anyways, Thanks for your suggestions. You said it right. I need time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:53 pm
Sorry to hear about that, haiuday

You certainly won't be the first person who has to take the GMAT a second time.

All the best,
Brent

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by basso25@ » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:49 am
sorry to hear as well.

i'm excited to see how you progress and improve though; it will be an exciting process that you'll go through (i am going through it right now) and you will gain a ton of confidence and knowledge!

good luck with your studies and please keep us posted!

by haiuday » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:30 am
Dear Friends,
I need your valuable suggestions for my second attempt. So, I'm adding here on my previous post. Please guide me on the below mentioned problem.

Here is my preparation summary after putting in a lot of effort for the last 6 months.

Test Results :
GMAT Prep 1 : Q48/V28 - 640
GMAT Prep 2 : Q47/V30 - 640

I've really worked hard to bring up my score in quanta from 35-40 to 45-48. However, I am not doing any better in verbal. No matter how much ever I read, I always get a score around 30. I've been reading so many articles on economist.com for the last one year to improve my RC skills. I'm afraid it is not helping me much.

Please find the scores of individual sections of verbal tests.

CR - 4 or 5 incorrect in every test.
SC - 4 or 5 incorrect in every test.
RC - 6 or 7 incorrect in every test.

Quanta : I'm getting 12-14 incorrect consistently.

My target score is 680+. Please advise how I can improve my score. As per the test results, I stand somewhere around 640.
Do you think it is better to go ahead and schedule the exam?
or
Is there anyway I can improve my score in another 20-25 days? It is difficult to manage work and study. The journey has been so stressful. I'm not very sure in what other way I can improve my verbal score. I've read all theory and solved a lot of problems. I even reviewed all CATs. I've noticed that I fail to complete 41 questions in verbal. Perhaps it is mental fatigue. I could complete only 37/38 questions and guess the rest in very less time. At this point of time, i'm confused on my next step in preparation. So, I thought I could get some inputs from the forum and came up with this post.

Please guide me. Thanks in Advance!!

Thanks,
Uday

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:30 am
Hi Uday,

Looking a your scores in practice tests, I see that you have fair scope of improvement in QUant section and Critical Reasoning sections primarily. These are the sections in which you can improve substantially within 20-25 days.

In Quant, you only need to focus on Silly/careless mistakes which students make due to lack of focus and lack of some concept revision.

Second, identify the types of mistakes in Critical reasoning section whether they are Strengthening Questions/Weakening Questions etc. and try to reattempt the questions from the source of material that you have referred during your preparation.

You may seek specific advice as well if you have something specific in your mind.

All the best!!!
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:54 pm
Hi Uday,

You've made some really nice improvements to your Quant score. With the Verbal, you appear to have stayed at the same level. This consistency means that regardless of the lessons you've learned and all the practice you've done, you still react in the same way to the Verbal section. To improve this score, you'll need a 2-fold approach: learn (and use) the proper tactics AND adjust your psychological reaction to the Test (how you "see" the Verbal section).

You can absolutely improve in another 20-25 days, but the way that you're currently "seeing" the Verbal section won't get you to that higher score. Your current Verbal Scores prove that you're making the same little mistakes again and again. As such, you will need to adjust your tactics and have a constant, professional system to guide you. Continuing to work out of a book will likely not get you there.

You might consider investing in some new resources - there are several to choose from. My advice is to take a quick sampling of all the options, then pick the one that best matches your personality and budget.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by haiuday » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:57 am
Thanks GMATInsight and Rich for your valuable suggestions. I gave the exam this morning. I scored 620(42Q/33V). I am neither happy nor sad. I am thinking on my next move.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:24 am
haiuday wrote:Thanks GMATInsight and Rich for your valuable suggestions. I gave the exam this morning. I scored 620(42Q/33V). I am neither happy nor sad. I am thinking on my next move.
Good Luck for all your next moves Haiuday!!! :)
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:10 pm
Hi Uday,

Last week, you asked about who much you could improve in 20-25 days, but you've just taken the GMAT (1 week later). It sounds like you "rushed in" to take the Test when you knew that you weren't truly prepared. The good news is that Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once. Since you're going to have to wait 31 days to retest, you can now spend that time continuing your studies.

It's interesting that your Quant score dropped as much as it did, since you had been performing at a higher level during your studies.. Was there anything about Test Day that was different or surprising, relative to your practice CATs?

Rich

by haiuday » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:18 pm
@GMATinsight Thank you.

@Rich - Yes, I thought of preparing for a few more days. But everything got complicated at work. So, I decided to give exam.

With regards to Quanta, I felt most of the questions easy till 25th question. For some reason, I continuously got DS questions after 25th question. I think most of them went wrong. I'm not very sure what went wrong. I got good scores in GMATPrep1 & 2. I wasn't even tensed on test day.

I'm thinking about retaking to push my score to 660. I think I have the potential to score only till 660 with a few more days of preparation. I would like to thank you for all the suggestions. I'll keep this post updated on my journey.

Thanks,
Uday

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:17 pm
Hi Uday,

What schools do you want to apply to? And when?

A 620 isn't a terrible score, so depending on your plans, you may not need to retest.

Rich