Chances of getting accepted - Masters in Accounting

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I wanted to get some feedback and other people's opinion about my chances to get accepted.

I am currently applying to two different schools, my alma mater, then an in-state school with very high placement rates and CPA exam passing rates (my primary choice)

I am a mortgage loan officer for a credit union and was able to obtain a recommendation from my branch manager as well as two CPA's who were my professor's at the community college with which I completed my prerequisites. I also have been VITA tax certified the last two years so I have some basic tax experience. My undergrad GPA was 3.4 (B.A. in History) and I have been at my current job for over two years now.

My main concern is the GMAT. The school I am trying to get accepted into has an average score of 580 and a minimum of 530. I scored a 520. My interview went very well and the director of admissions at the school told me that my interviewer spoke very highly of me afterwards. They did, however, ask me to take the GMAT a second time, since I scored below the minimum, and they would take the higher of the two scores. I ended up getting a 480 the second try which was devastating.

How much of a factor will the lower score on the second try affect their decision? I know they take the higher score but they do see that I got a lower score on the second attempt. Any feedback will be helpful, thanks in advance.