building a profile

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

building a profile

by rishu23 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 pm
Hello everybody,

I am currently a final year student at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur. I am aspiring to do MBA later in my career, let's say 4 years from now. I have a GPA of 3.36 now but still have 2 semesters left. After going through numerous threads and forums, I am disappointed to know that to enter top B-schools, one requires a GPA of around 3.6. What more worries me is that my GPA has been monotonically decreasing. (I had started my freshmen with a 3.6). Please suggest me strategies (a long term plan) so that I can still make it to the top schools, if at all possible. Clearly I haven't given my GMAT, but I think I can manage a good score. Besides, I've done volunteer works, community service etc. throughout my college years, been involved in sport teams in schools (but not represented the college at National levels), scored about 3.88 in national exams before entering college, and have internship experiences in top companies such as Siemens. Kindly suggest what should be my approach from now on.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by TarunaSaini » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:30 am
Hi,

Try to emphasize on the unique skills, differentiating factors, any out of the box approach you adopted.
Put your best foot forward and concentrate on your strengths and create you story around it.
Make sure that your GPA, extracurriculars, work experience and profile are strong.
Overall profile is really important. Hopefully all these factors will help to crate a strong application.

Good Luck!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by PathToMBA » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:55 am
Hi rishu23,

As of now I would suggest you to concentrate on your job and work profile. A good profile and work experience makes a lot of difference in your B-School applications. GPA is not only the parameter B-School considers. There are other parameters as well which B-School consider along with GPA - like your work experice, achievements at work, GMAT Score, extra curricular activities.

Paricipate in social work, volunteer work and other activities in your work place. Concentrate on your GMAT, target 700+ if you are aiming at top 10-15 B-Schools. Start doing groundwork for B-Schools. Gather information, connect with alumni as much as possible.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Path to MBA Team

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:53 am
Hello rishu

Business schools do not require a set GPA from you. 3.0 is the minimum requirement at most schools but students with 2.9 have also made it. A GPA of 3.36 is close to the average of most top business schools. In your case, coming from a top school in India will be quite an advantage over others and even if your final GPA is less than average for any business school, it will not inhibit your chances in any way. The decreasing GPA trend may be a problem which you will have to address in your applications when you apply to schools.
That said, GPA is only one of parameters on which you will be judged. Work experience, extracurricular activities, your leadership and organizational skills and GMAT scores will hold most of the weight of your application. I would suggest you to

1. Make the best of the coming semesters and try to push your GPA above 3.45 so you will have one less thing to worry about.
2. Business schools are looking for achievers and people who take initiatives. Before completing your education participate in competitions, etc and win a couple of awards if you can; If you could lead teams, groups or clubs or be in a leadership position, it would be a great start for building a good profile of extracurricular activities. If you could participate in national level games, it would be excellent.
3. Work Experience: You will be judged on the quality of your work. Are you interested in entrepreneurship? It would be great if you could start a venture. When you join a company, work hard and outperform your peers. Getting promoted and opportunities to lead teams would be excellent.
4. Give your GMAT at least one year before you start applying, i.e. two years before your intended joining year.
5. During your work experience, be involved in some extracurricular activities and take some responsibilites.

Tell me more about what field you want to pursue your MBA in, your performance in math courses and your volunteer and community work so that I will be able to give you more and specific suggestions. Let me know if you have any doubts.

You can go through this article to understand the components of a business school application.
https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/6-comp ... pplication

All the best
www.interviewbay.com

Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School