International profile - feedback appreciated!

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

International profile - feedback appreciated!

by Batir » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:40 am
Hey there,

I am an international student from Uzbekistan who wishes to apply to a full-time MBA program in the US with possible start in Fall semester, 2015. I would be very thankful if someone could give me any kind of feedback looking through my profile (chances to be accepted, advice on schools to attend etc.). I am currently 23 years old.

- Graduated from IT College in Tashkent, Uzbekistan (teaching language - Russian) with a GPA of 3.7 in 2010. (GPA has been converted from original source because of difference between grading systems)
- Expected 3.8 overall GPA from a top state university of Uzbekistan (standard 4 years), located in Tashkent (capital), (teaching language - Russian), with a major in Economics with a special focus on China (expected graduation date - June, 2015). I had 4.0 GPA last 2 semesters and I suppose that this tendency will go on. (GPA has been converted from original source because of difference between grading systems)
- Received a 2012-2013 UGRAD (Fulbright Undergraduate) scholarship to able to study in the US for a year. Spent a year in the US attending one of Cal State Universities with a total GPA of 3.5 for 2 consecutive semesters (made Dean`s list once)
- Had an internship for 4 months as an event-coordinator`s assistant in UN Regional Office for Central Asia - (2012)
- Had a paid internship for 5 months in the US working as business associate for an international freight forwarding company ($1.5 million revenue in FY 2012) - (2013) (was very tough to get in since I was an international student without US citizenship)
- Completed a two-month community service while being in the US
- Participated in enormous amount of conferences all across the globe including Harvard University MUN and UCLA MUN as well as business and marketing conferences of various kind (mostly being a leader of my country/delegation/team)
- As a member of American Marketing Association, was among those who received a presidential award for outstanding organization of the year, 2013
- Is currently working in a local consulting firm as a marketing associate (part-time)
- Knows 5 languages, including Russian, Uzbek (native language), English, German (intermediate) and Chinese (intermediate)
- Plays piano and guitar (if it matters here).
- Haven`t taken GMAT yet but aiming for 700-720 range

I am planning to start my full-time MBA program as soon as I will be done with my undergraduate work. I am still considering various kinds of concentrations but I suppose that I will go for something close to marketing or information systems since I`ve already received some experience.
I am still searching for good schools which can provide me with full scholarship since even a good partial scholarship from good schools may be insufficient.

Please do not hesitate to provide me with any kind of advice concerning my profile.
I highly appreciate your time!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:41 am
Hi Batir

You have a pretty good profile for starters.

You can look into early career MBA programs like since you do not have full time work experience.

Some of the options are :

1. Yale University Silver Scholars program- 3 year program
2. Arizona State University
3. Stanford University- Deferred Admission
4. University of Chicago-Booth
5. Wharton Business School

They are all top notch and are very selective in nature. As far as scholarships are concerned it might be difficult to predict in the absence of a GMAT score. Full scholarship might be a bit difficult specially from these schools but if you make your application strong you can definitely give them a shot.

Good Luck!

Thanks!

Manya Abroad Team

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Batir » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:21 am
Hello and thank you very much for your reply!

Frankly saying, you made me feel much more motivated after an information you provided me with.

Recently, I`ve been thinking about applying to grad schools which are located in California since I`ve already lived there and got some valuable intership experience from one of international companies located there.

That is why, I have two major questions

1) Do you suppose that I will have more possibilities to be accepted to one of grad schools in California since I`ve already had direct life and intership experience from there?

2) I know that it is pretty difficult to get into Stanford but how do evaluate my chances of getting accepted to such school as UCLA, UC Berkeley or UC Irvine?

Thank you very much for any further replies in advance - I really appreciate your time and assistance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:07 am
Hi Batir

To answer your questions:

1. Just having internship and direct life experience in a particular state does not make you an obvious choice. Bust having said that , it will definitely add value and advantage to your whole profile.

2. I really cannot tell you your acceptance chances since it all depends on how well and convincing you sound to the school. Stanford yes is very selective. Haas again would be competitive , UC Irvine you can definitely give it a shot you might just have good chances there as it is much less competitive than the above mentioned schools.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Good Luck!

Thanks and Regards

Manya Abroad Team